Another netwoking question.

AcidBurn7uk 22:31 01 Mar 2004

Hi all.
I am thinking about netwoking two PC's that we have in our house. I was going to just run a cross over ethernet cable from the PC-PC, as it is my understanding that this would work. But can you do the same with wireless PCI cards? I will be setting up internet connection sharing and hopefully in a few months, I will also have a laptop. Do I need any other equipment to setup wireless network with internet connection sharing, I.E. A wireless broadband router. I am aware that wireless is much slower that hard cableing, but it also allows freedom of movement, and it save drilling holes in the floors/ceilings! Please advise as I don't want to go and spen £60-£70 on 2 wireless cards just to find that I will also need to go and then buy routers/hubs etc etc!

AcidBurn7uk 22:34 01 Mar 2004

mmmm, just found this pic (click here) on the click here and I think it answers my question, but not sure. Will I NEED an access point just for 2 machines?

AcidBurn7uk 22:34 01 Mar 2004

mmmm, just found this pic (click here) on the click here and I think it answers my question, but not sure. Will I NEED an access point just for 2 machines?

VoG II 22:36 01 Mar 2004

If you want either PC to have internet connection when the other is off you will need a router, otherwise not.

VoG II 22:36 01 Mar 2004

If you want either PC to have internet connection when the other is off you will need a router, otherwise not.

Indigo 1 22:39 01 Mar 2004

Is this useful click here ?

Indigo 1 22:39 01 Mar 2004

Is this useful click here ?

VoG II 22:40 01 Mar 2004

Connection from modem plugs into router and LAN card in "main" PC connects to router, both by cable. Then the second PC connects to the router wirelessly. You only need a WIFI card in the "main" PC if you want to share folders, printer etc.

VoG II 22:40 01 Mar 2004

Connection from modem plugs into router and LAN card in "main" PC connects to router, both by cable. Then the second PC connects to the router wirelessly. You only need a WIFI card in the "main" PC if you want to share folders, printer etc.

AcidBurn7uk 22:46 02 Mar 2004

Thanks, have ordered a big long cable from ebuyer for now untill I can find the cash t buy the wireless gear.

AcidBurn7uk 22:46 02 Mar 2004

Thanks, have ordered a big long cable from ebuyer for now untill I can find the cash t buy the wireless gear.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?