Another modem question

Europa 22:25 13 Aug 2005

I always wondered if you could have a dial up account with an ADSL modem router (have broadband but still have a dial up account as a back-up)or do you need a separate 56K modem to have that back-up?

powerless 23:11 13 Aug 2005

A separate 56K modem is needed.

Europa 00:48 14 Aug 2005

That's good, as I ask for an internal 56K modem to be installed on my new computer, I have an account with madasafish (pay as you go) and I want to keep my madasafish.com email address (which is my main one), so I've done well to have done that. I will get broadband with my other ISP, Plusnet, apparently they are giving you the option of a pay as you go account as a back-up.

Forum Editor 02:10 14 Aug 2005

Many people install a 56K modem as a backup when they first switch to a broadband connection, but you rapidly learn that in fact the broadband service is so reliable you never need the back-up. I have used broadband since it first launched in this country, and in all that time I have never once needed to dial-up.

If you do decide to install a 56K modem do not leave it connected to the phone line when it's not being used - if by chance you are infected with a dialer you could find yourself facing a huge phone bill for premium-rate calls you knew nothing about.

Forum Editor 02:12 14 Aug 2005

You should still be able to access your madasafish mailbox via your broadband connection - you shouldn't need to dial in to do that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?