Another how to network 2 home PCs

  carlos 11:32 08 Jul 2003

Stimulated by FJ's enquiry, I am interested in doing same. I have two Win98 pcs. One is BT broadband connected via USB alcatel "modem". I want to allow the second PC to connect to the internet via the first( when it's on as my wife and I often work at same time ). I am confused by the range of products( routers, hubs, protocol g, b, wifi??) and steps neccessary and would be very grateful for some concise instructions. eg stick a X PCI card in both PCs and on the non-connected PC do this and this.

  Psiman 13:14 08 Jul 2003

The following assumes that your Alcatel modem connects to your first PC (server)by USB connector. Purchase two 10/100 ethernet PCI cards, one for each PC and one cat 5 crossover cable to connect the two. Setup is easy enough using network wizard. click here for more info.

  Psiman 13:15 08 Jul 2003

More info if you have Win 98SE. click here

  carlos 14:26 08 Jul 2003

apologies for late does get in the way.....
Didn't make myself clear. Wanted to do wireless sharing, as a previous requester asked, but they had cable. I've got USB alcatel modem with BT broadband

  Psiman 15:50 08 Jul 2003

I think I see what your getting at. You wish to retain your main PC as your internet gateway (serviced by the Alcatel modem). Then you should add a "network PCI card" to that computer connect it to a "wireless LAN access point" and add a "wireless LAN PCI card" to the second PC. Total cost about £85. I think that's the cheapest way to provide the system you want.

Hope I've understood your requirement this time. Please advise if you would like typical model numbers. I use D-Link equipment for mine.

  carlos 16:09 08 Jul 2003

so its not as simple as sticking in a wifi, for eg, PCI card into each PC. The non- internetted PC then receives internet radio signals from the internetted PC's PCI card? Model numbers would be very useful, thank you. It'll help me to visualise what |I need. I thought I either needed the wireless connections OR network ( ethernet ) cards?
Help appreciated

  Psiman 17:43 08 Jul 2003

Just a small point but WiFi stands for Wireless Fidelity a sort of accreditation association for the IEEE 802.11(x) family of wireless specifications. Many leading manufacturers use the WiFi logo if accredited.

D-Link, Netgear and Linksys all offer suitable equipment. A visit to their web sites will help.

If you are sure your wireless net will not expand you could employ plug-in ad-hoc peer to peer wireless networking on each machine. I'm not sure how this would affect your internet link. I would go for a LAN access point every time.

What may be of interest to you is the latest peer to peer plug-in USB dongles based on Bluetooth, but note range is limited, only about 10 metres maximum indoors. click here and scroll to bottom.

  carlos 19:51 08 Jul 2003

Bluetooth may suffice for me. Am checking out now.
Cheers again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro review

How Pentagram and other design agencies aim to double the number of creative female leaders

How to speed up a slow Mac

Comment résoudre des problèmes d’impressions ?