Annoyingly Loud PSU Fan

Cal 22:24 02 Jan 2007

Just installed a new Jeantech 300w PSU from PC World after my previous 250w FSP PSU died.

It's certainly much louder than the previous PSU to the extent that I'm not sure that I can put up with the noise. It's not far off sounding like a hair drier at low speed.

Any suggestions or have I just rushed out and bought the wrong PSU?

brundle 22:26 02 Jan 2007

Take it back and get one of these at Maplin for £25 - barely audible. click here

Cal 22:41 02 Jan 2007

I am tempted but to quote PC World's spiel about the Jeantech:-

"The Jeantech smart automatic fan speed control designed with a built in temperature sensor which effectively reduces the noise to half that of conventional power supplies and maxmizes the balance between noise reduction and necessary cooling"

I bought the PSU from PC World partly due to convenience but mostly because of the above statement which is simply not true.

If you can honestly say that the X Power PSU is barely audible then the Jeantech is going back.

brundle 22:46 02 Jan 2007

I have one in this machine, I can't hear the PSU fan over the CPU fan (rated at 26dbA, pretty quiet itself).

[email protected] 22:52 02 Jan 2007

i bought a noisy one, thought i could live with it for the first hourm thought i'll change it on payday by the second hour, come the third hour i ordered click here and god what a relief, makes no sound at all, the previous one sounded like a wind tunnel!!

Cal 22:53 02 Jan 2007

That does sound amazingly quiet and as I can't hear myself think at the moment I think I'll order one.
Many thanks.

Cal

Cal 22:57 02 Jan 2007

adman 2

Judging by what you say about your PSU it would seem I unknowingly bought one of the loudest out there.
A wind tunnel is an apt description!

Miké 22:59 02 Jan 2007

Some Jeantech's have a push button to adjust the fans speed/noise level.

[email protected] 23:03 02 Jan 2007

wel i rushed out to the local shop and bought click here and they should change the brand name to f16 rocket engine psu!! bad move indeed

Cal 23:06 02 Jan 2007

Not this one (ATX 3001 200) 300w.
My mistake though, I was too hasty and should have read a review of some kind.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?