Annoying AVG reminder

ened 16:22 24 Jun 2008

Does anyone have any idea how to stop this annoying twice daily pop-up which wants me to upgrade to AVG8?

I have tried the AVG forum but without success.

I don't resally want to abandon AVG as I am hoping that later in the year they will provide fixes for the problems I experienced with V.8.

Halmer 16:30 24 Jun 2008

because I have it on both my PCs with no problem?

dagbladet 16:35 24 Jun 2008

Yes he has.

ened 16:48 24 Jun 2008

I have Vista Ultimate 64bit.

I don't know if anybody else has it working properly with that OS or if it is something else.

I have always used AVG and these pop-ups are irritating, but it is only a matter of one click to get rid of them.

However I don't understand why they find it necessary to keep bombarding us with them.

grey george 19:06 24 Jun 2008

One of my machines has 7.5 but I don't get any pop ups. It is set for manual updates only and I haven't checked for any for some while.

hiwatt 19:20 24 Jun 2008

My pop ups tell me that avg 7.5 ends tomorrow(25th)

karmgord 19:29 24 Jun 2008

what about us poor souls with win98se,i've got a fully paid up version of 7.5 only to be told i can't upgrade to 8.0 as it don't work on win98se,and no updates despite paying for licence!

Halmer 20:17 24 Jun 2008

Both mine are 32 bit. One on XP and the other Vista Ultimate. Had no problems at all touch wood.

Tried to load free AVG 8 on a friend's laptop last night (Vista) but it wouldn't have it. Kept saying that there was a Windows critical update missing. I couldn't be bothered to mess so I just stuck Avast free on it for her.

Hope you get it sorted.

ened 06:23 25 Jun 2008

Thanks everybody.

I think grey george has it. Obvious really!!

Set it to manual updates.

Halmer - Just for your info: I too had the demand for a critical update when I installed it. I followed thr link provided by AVG and then continued installation. No problem at that stage.

My problem with V.8 (As I have said in a previous thread somewhere) was that it created a delay if 1-2 seconds whenever I tried to do anything. I first noticed it when I tried switching tabs.

If it isn't sorted then I shall simply switch to another AV.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?