AMD A10 vs Intel Core i5 which is best

KP01 22:05 26 Nov 2016

Which is the better processor: Amd A10-9700 or Intel Core i5 4460?

Govan1x 22:25 26 Nov 2016
  KP01 22:28 26 Nov 2016

I have, it is hard to find a direct comparison. All I want is a simple answer in laymans terms so I can decide which out of 2 Pcs to buy. Just after people's opinions who know what they are talking about.

Govan1x 08:39 27 Nov 2016

Same as yourself googled it and what I read pointed to the Intel i5 being the best but to tell the truth I don't really have a clue.

No doubt someone will be able to give you the correct information.

Secret-Squirrel 08:48 27 Nov 2016

Just after people's opinions who know what they are talking about.

The AMD may have a faster clock speed but the Intel's performance is significantly faster in both single and multi-core operations. The Intel is therefore the better performer.

wee eddie 13:12 27 Nov 2016

However, if you plan to use "On-Board"! Graphics, then they say that AMD has it

KP01 13:28 27 Nov 2016

I am weighing up which of 2 Pcs to buy. They seen to have the same specs (8GB RAM, 1TB HD, Windows 10) but one has the i5 4460 and the other has A10, which I believe has R7 graphics card. The Intel one doesn't state graphics, integrated or otherwise. The AMD is in a HP, the Intel in a Zoostorm.They are very similar in price, so trying to get opinions on which would be the better one. I have limited knowledge on stuff like this, hence my question.

rdave13 15:45 27 Nov 2016

The R7 is integrated GPU on the A10-9700 same as Intel® HD Graphics 4600 is integrated with the Core i5 4460. The AMD will run hotter and the performance should be good. For many years I used AMD CPUs but changed to Intel as in my experience they are better and run much cooler.

That is just my preference, though, and from what I can see you will be using 'on-board graphics' on either of the PCs you choose. So no true gaming machines. The Intel uses 22 nm Transistor Technology.

Check this link , will give you some idea.

Secret-Squirrel 15:48 27 Nov 2016

KP, Eddie and I have already answered your question, but I'll try to explain again:

The Intel i5 is by far the fastest CPU. If on the other hand you intend to do a lot of low-level gaming then the AMD's graphic capabilities are significantly better. Both processors have graphics chips built into them - Radeon R7 for the AMD and Intel® HD Graphics 4600 for the i5.

lotvic 16:04 27 Nov 2016

It's not hard to find a direct comparison if you amend your search term to:

Amd A10-9700 vs Intel Core i5 4460

you will get results like this benchmark click here

rdave13 16:30 27 Nov 2016

If you want a gaming machine then go for the Intel and an Nvidia dedicated card , the most expensive you can afford and upgrade the PSU. Alternatively might be cheaper to go to such sites as Chillblast and create a bespoke machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Climate change, War and #MeToo: 'Ugly Truth' Christmas jumpers show the dark side to modern life

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Windows 10 : comment désactiver Cortana ?