Am I a dinosaur for using IE?

john bunyan 14:55 16 Feb 2018
Answered

I use IE with Windows 10. I have always used it with no problems. I have looked at Chrome from time to time and quickly rejected Edge. I realise that IE is dated but I am happy with it. Where am I wrong? I also use Google U.K. as my opening website. I have no interest in Twitter, and use MBAM Premium plus Defender as security. Should I make more effort to change? If so to what? Is Edge getting more popular?

octal 15:03 16 Feb 2018

Nothing wrong with IE, it does look a bit dated but who cares as long as you are happy with it and it gets the job done why change? I occasionally use IE at work because the Intranet doesn't always work with Firefox.

I think it's all done to personal choice.

octal 15:07 16 Feb 2018

I will add, the I'm using Midori browser on my little old Netbook and it is fast even though it's a dated old browser, Firefox runs like a tortoise with a brick on its back.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:13 16 Feb 2018

Am I a dinosaur for using IE?

Yes click here the Dinosaurs lasted for between 165 and 177 million years. :0)

I changed from IE8 to chrome because IE8 was so slow on my old XP machine have now got comfortable with Chrome

Stick with what you are comfortable with if its performing OK for you and staying secure.

However

john bunyan 15:20 16 Feb 2018

Thanks both. I keep fully up to date with W 10 and have IE 11. MBAM Premium occasionally blocks a site (had issues with FFSynch) and I use ABP plus Easylist, scan from time to time with Superantispyware and ADWCleaner. Had no issues so will stick with it.

wee eddie 15:29 16 Feb 2018

In Motor Racing terms. You're about to be lapped

john bunyan 15:37 16 Feb 2018

Remember who won out of the Hare and the Tortoise!!

rdave13 16:47 16 Feb 2018

Keep using IE if you must but try other browsers from time to time. I'm using Vivaldi now but a long time user of IE myself. Play around with it if you'll try it (it's Chrome based), just to see what you think.

Forum Editor 17:06 16 Feb 2018

Browser choice is a very personal thing, and if you're happy with IE then that's a good reason for staying put.

However...

I haven't used IE for years, and it only exists today because there are some big companies which need it for legacy applications - otherwise it would be consigned to the digital dustbin.

In terms of general user popularity, Chrome remains the Gold Standard browser with FireFox running second. The newest version of FireFox is superb, and that's the one I'm using now.

It's not a bad idea to try out one or two alternatives, because if you don't there's no way of knowing what you're missing.

Menzie 17:27 16 Feb 2018

I've tried many browsers but tend to have stuck with a handful over the years.

On my Amiga 1200 I used AWeb to browse the internet but also dabbled in using Voyager.

On the PC side I used Netscape Navigator and only switched the IE when a site didn't work properly.

After Netscape went away I moved to Firefox and that has been my browser of choice ever since.

I have dabbled in using Comodo Dragon, IE, Edge, Chrome and Opera but Firefox is always my default.

Even when I kept reading reviews about how great Chrome is and how much faster it was I still stuck with Firefox.

In fact I'm posting this via Firefox for Android right now.

I tend to stick with what I know and keep on using it unless I run into severe issues and have to be dragged kicking and screaming elsewhere.

If IE works for you and you're happy with it then use it.

difarn 17:37 16 Feb 2018

I haven't used IE for years. Chrome is a very good browser but my preferred one is Firefox. I agree with the FE, the current version of Firefox, Quantum, is superb.

Try other browsersout of curiosity - you have nothing to lose.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Test : les écouteurs Bluetooth Honor xSport AM61