am I an administrator?!

fbadt 18:04 04 Oct 2009

Hey there, I have Vista but I don't seem to have admin rights or special permissions for folders while the system does, should I have this access? I am the only person who logs into this system, and its been mine since I took it out of the box. I keep finding out there's hidden folders I can't access and quite often I'll move a folder (even one I've created on the desktop to put photos or music infor example) and when I try to move it, the system says I don't have the rights? what I am doing wrong?
thanks for any help
fbt

VoG II 18:21 04 Oct 2009

This may help click here

fbadt 18:32 04 Oct 2009

thanks, but I don't even have "Local User and Groups" listed under that computer management folder, just goes from shared to reliability, how locked down is my pc?!
thanks

Sea Urchin 19:06 04 Oct 2009

If you are using Vista Home (Basic or Premium) then Local User and Groups is not available - has to be Vista Business.

You can enable the Admin account by using a Command prompt - type in

net user administrator /active:yes (note spaces)

and that should do the trick.

A bit of background here:

click here

fbadt 19:22 04 Oct 2009

darn it, tried and I get 'access denied' in the comm prompt? thanks for the help so far!

rdave13 19:52 04 Oct 2009

Try turning off UAC first; click here
Enable the admin account so that you can change your own account to admin status; click here
If successful disable the admin account.

fbadt 21:50 04 Oct 2009

Unless I'm doing something stupid that's not working either, I have created the admin accoutn and went to the user accounts, highlighted mine but when i check 'admin' it greys out the confirm button?

Sea Urchin 22:12 04 Oct 2009

You may need to do it in safe mode

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough fights back against sexual misconduct

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Espace de stockage : comment libérer de la mémoire sur votre iPhone ?