Almost out of space on C Drive (Windows 10)

wildhouse 22:13 17 May 2018

I have started to get messages saying my C Drive is almost full. I have an HP Pavilion 550-295. It has used 111 of 117GB on the C drive but has 1.71TB on the Datadrive. Advice on how to clear some space (I have moved any Apps etc it will allow me to move, and what is left appears to be more or less Windows related) appreciated.

wee eddie 22:42 17 May 2018

You need to consider what's stored there. The working parts of Windows are likely to be less than 30GB.

You'll need to do a bit of digging

wildhouse 22:55 17 May 2018

I wouldn't have a clue which are the working parts! Whatever is there came with the PC or the system chose to save there. I always save to the Datadrive.

lotvic 23:14 17 May 2018

I use the Free program TreeSize Free from JamSoftware click here TreeSize Free tells you where precious disk space has gone - shows files and folders, names, sizes and what they are etc.

lotvic 23:26 17 May 2018

I'll also add, having just got the 1803 Spring Windows Update installed, my C drive totals 95GB used. I keep all my Data - including emails - on a separate external hard drive (PC is an All-in-One, not a tower + monitor)

I notice Windows.old is taking up nearly 30GB as well as Windows 30GB. The rest are 20GB program files & ProgramData, 1GB Drivers and other misc stuff that I haven't sorted through yet.

Govan1x 08:18 18 May 2018

Like lotvic run disk clean up then open file clean up when it shows and run that , it will remove Windows old and any old windows updates that are not needed,

john bunyan 09:15 18 May 2018

Move User folder to D drive. Using CCleaner , tools, restore points, delete all but the most recent 2. If you have the latest 1803 update it will have wiped earlier restore points and will need reconfigureing to start restore points as they get switched off by default for some reason

wiganken2 09:29 18 May 2018
  wildhouse 17:44 18 May 2018

Thanks, all. Will try some of these over the weekend. I thought I was installing the 1803 update but it appears to have installed the 1709 which previously kept failing, so I might also download 1803 and try and install that once I have moved a few things and run disk clean up - it might even sort out the profile problem the initial 1709 install attempt caused last Christmas!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HTC U12 Plus review: Hands-on

Best Android emulators for Mac

Comment utiliser l’Apple Store Éducation ?