AGP Card only fits backwards!!!

MikeyT 12:24 09 Jan 2004

I have bought a AGP Card off the web and when it fits into the AGP Slot the housing for the monitor cable has to pass through and the casing and be seated inside the tower case. Am i being daft or is there more than 1 type of card?

xania 12:40 09 Jan 2004

Yes - there are 2 types depending upon the speed of the card - and the commensurate voltage. If you have a 4x or 8x the voltage is different and, as a safeguard, the blocking slot is in a different place. Some mobos, and some AGP cards are multi-speed and have no slots but if you cannot fit the card in the right way round, the card is not compatible with your mobo.

GrahamP 12:42 09 Jan 2004

No, that's definitely not right. The metal flange (I/O shield) with the connectors on it should slot into an appropriate opening on the back of your case, so that the cable can connect from the outside.

Yes, there are three different AGP slots
AGP 1x/2x
AGP 4x
AGP Pro
An AGP 4x & Pro will also accept 1x 2x and 4x cards
AN AGP Pro will also accept 8x cards

You can check them by the number of keys, the bits that (should) stop you putting in the wrong one, or the wrong way.
AGP 1x/2x has one about a third of the way along.
AGP 4 has none but has a card retaining mechanism at the inner end
AGP Pro has two.

billyliv 12:44 09 Jan 2004

Hi, Unfortunately what you have is a PCI card. Try it in a PCI slot and see how it behaves. Cheers, Bill

GrahamP 12:45 09 Jan 2004

No, that's definitely not right. The metal flange (I/O shield) with the connectors on it should slot into an appropriate opening on the back of your case, so that the cable can connect from the outside.
Yes, there are three different AGP slots

AGP 1x/2x, AGP 4x, AGP Pro.

An AGP 4x & Pro will also accept 1x 2x and 4x cards. An AGP Pro will also accept 8x cards.

You can check them by the number of keys, the bits that (should) stop you putting in the wrong one, or the wrong way. AGP 1x/2x has one about a third of the way along. AGP 4 has none but has a card retaining mechanism at the inner end AGP Pro has two.

billyliv 12:46 09 Jan 2004

Hi, Ignore my last posting Ive just woken up. Cheers, Bill

Jester2K 14:22 09 Jan 2004

How was this solved??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts