Advice on wireless modem please?

stugra 16:35 26 Dec 2008

I have some vouchers to spend at PC World! I need to replace my D-Link DSL-G604T modem router because the signal is not strong enough to reach the Nintendo Wii in the lounge. But I do not have a clue what to get.

My requirements would be:
100M range?
Preferably ethernet (keep the USB's free?)
BT ADSL used (not cable)
I have a D-Link USB dongle on a PC upstairs to connect to
I want reliability!! I would go mad if I had to reboot the modem router every few days!!
I do not necessarily want to go to the expense of above £60 (unless imperative)!

I really appreciate any help

rdave13 16:58 26 Dec 2008

Have you tried changing the broadcasting channel on the D-Link? I'm not familiar with the D-Link but I believe there is a setting under "wireless settings" that you can change from auto to a manual setting. On my router channel 9 works well.

Fingees 17:13 26 Dec 2008

Just a small point.
It often works out, that if computers /routers are on different floors, they are a lot harder to connect wirelessly.

Normally it can be overcome by more efficient antennas, both on computers and routers.

Worth concidering when deciding what to do.

stugra 23:35 26 Dec 2008

Thanks Guys, but have fiddled with the channel and not managed to get any better a signal.

This is a straight forward transmission of about 12 metres on the ground floor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough, a non-profit against sexual misconduct

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)