Advice on whats best for my new computer.

Fatsia japonica 06:23 07 Jun 2003

This is my 3rd computer in 7 years, its an all singing and dancing athlon xp 2600 made to my spec by nethigh street.com. Delivered yesterday so literally brand new. Before I go filling it up with rubbish what advice would you seasoned pros have in order that this machine stays in the good order it is in now.
Its a family machine so will be used for that sort of stuff,kids games, photos etc.
Also it has a 120gig hard drive that has not been partitioned (should I partition this and if so how).
Finally should I take my old hard drive (40 gig) from the old puter and install it or will that just mess this new machine up.

Thanks in advance

goonerbill 06:53 07 Jun 2003

hi fatsia japonica

i would take ya old 40gb h/drive and put in new pc ( check ya warranty if ya can do this ) and use it to make a backup copy of C: using something like norton's ghost or drive copy before loading anything onto ya new pc, so at any time ya wish, you can reinstall to its original setup.

goonerbill 06:59 07 Jun 2003

would also put a password lock on ya 40gb h/drive so that nothing can be written to or deleted from it by the kids. not sure if this can be done by windows or if ya will need to install other software.

keith-236785 08:25 07 Jun 2003

excellent advice by goonerbill

also make sure you have

1. Virus checker

2. Firewall, not winxp firewall but one you can get updates for (turn off winxp firewall if you get a different one

3. adawre 6.0

4. Pop-up stopper software

these are just to protect your pc

5. and most imprtantly TEACH YOUR KIDS NOT TO OPEN ANY E-MAIL ATTACHMENTS, sorry for shouting but it is soooooo easy to infect your computer..
sorry if you know/have all this already but you did ask.....lol

as for the 120gig h/d it might be better to partition int 2or3 sections but if windows is installed then maybe just leave alone and do it when you re-install windows......it wont be long if your kids are gonna put a lot of stuff on, something will screw up windows

you could however use Partition Magic

good luck

Lú-tzé 08:33 07 Jun 2003

Before doing too much, get Norton Ghost and create an image of a perfect install of Windows XP, including all updates and AV program (to save having to download these again). Then when the PC gets sluggish, you can put the ghost image back and it will be like new.

Partition the disk into a few sections - it depends on what you use the pc for but I would suggest one for graphics, one for my docs and all that you have created, one for backups etc.

Have a look at click here for info about creating a good backup system, including the ghost images mentioned above.

Lú-tzé 08:34 07 Jun 2003

Before doing too much, get Norton Ghost and create an image of a perfect install of Windows XP, including all updates and AV program (to save having to download these again). Then when the PC gets sluggish, you can put the ghost image back and it will be like new.

Partition the disk into a few sections - it depends on what you use the pc for but I would suggest one for graphics, one for my docs and all that you have created, one for backups etc.

Have a look at click here for info about creating a good backup system, including the ghost images mentioned above.

Fatsia japonica 14:06 07 Jun 2003

Thank you to those who have responded, (i've been at footie practise with the little horrors)I shall take you're advice on board and do as you all say.

thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts