Advice On Video Capture

Tizzle 17:51 31 Jul 2003

Anyone out there give me some advice?
I'm planning on putting some videos from VCR onto CD - probably SVCD, or MPEG4.
I've got a Gainward 8 x AGP video card with S-Video, but I believe it's video OUT only.
I'm trying to use Pinnacle Studio 8 software to capture the video, but there is no option offered to capture from anything other than a DV Camcorder (I suspect because of the S Video OUT only on the AGP card).
Can anyone suggest a reasonable capture card that will let me capture from the VCR to the HDD?

Any suggestions, advice, tips, etc. more than welcome.

Thanks in advance

Tizzle

Ben Avery 17:56 31 Jul 2003

That will likely be OUT only - you are correct. What you need is a capture card. Pinnacle and such like companies make them, this will allow you to receive an INPUT as well and using the software, capture the image to your HDD.

I bought a Dazzle 150 to capture - and although it gets little use, with the right software is a doddle!

BA

exbrat67 18:48 31 Jul 2003

Tizzle
You have chosen a very good editing package in Studio 8. I agree with BA. If you find that you need a firewire card then I suggest the Lacie PCI card at £22 from dabs. This will capture digital only only so you will need to get an anologue to digital converter. I use a Dazzle DV bridge which converts in both directions enabling you to make copies to VHS,Video 8 and (digital if you ever get a digital camcorder). Watch out for capture cards and converters that come bundled with editing software as these are nearly always cutdown or old versions. Studio 8 is one of the best and easy to use with good support

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)