Advice for purchasing monitors for home and work

rock_face 17:52 13 Nov 2016

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase 2+ monitors for home and at work (contractor). I've got a 17" laptop which I use daily at work - owned by the client, as they want to control access to their network - fair enough. It's screen is quite good - well spec'ed HP laptop, so I'm happy enough to use it as a second screen currently.

However, I would like to get myself at least one new screen for work. The laptop I use as thunderbolt, HMDI & (I think) a VGA connection. I also want to get myself a screen for home where I can work, study and also view movies, online TV etc.

At work, I'm now used to two screens - laptop screen and a std Dell 21" non widescreen. My plan was to put the laptop onto a mount beside the new screen and then use my own wireless keyboard and mouse to interface.

The current Dell monitor is okay, but recently I am getting sore eyes and headaches. Plus, I just want to get some new gear as the clients equipment is tired and does not provide a clear image to view/read.

In terms of size, I was thinking about a 24", but I'm not sure - possibly opt for a 22".

What should I be looking for in terms of spec for a monitor and what brands/models are recommended?

At some stage in future, I might like to pair the monitors with one in vertical alignment (or purchase a second in order to match the 22"/24"). Therefore I'd want one which can be mounted this way. Many seem to have just the footstand and some even have little or no tilt angle to them.

I suspect that there is little now at these sizes that is lower than 1920x1080. Is 60Hz sufficient? What else should I be looking at for the work screen? How much should I budget for this?

In terms of the home screen, the intent is for it to be a bit more multi-purpose. Again, I'm not sure of size or what to go for in terms of spec or size. It is not a necessity that I get one, but I thought that at the same time I could buy both. Would I be better of getting a matching pair now - or are the needs both distinct requiring different items?

I've budgeted approx £350 for these - sub £150 for the work screen and ~£200 for the home screen.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:58 13 Nov 2016

possibly start click here

rock_face 20:36 20 Nov 2016

Hi, I've been doing some research into this and I've decided that I would benefit from a dual monitor setup at work. I'm thinking now of either 24" or 27" monitors which can be pivoted into vertical alignment, if necessary.

What is the limiting factor in getting a povito monitor - is it the graphics card or OS in the laptop, or is it the actual monitor itself?

For 27" monitors is 1440 necessary or is 1080 still sufficient?

Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Windows Lite: what it is and when it might be released

Candid photography at home is helping Swedes to sell houses

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comment installer Fortnite sur un Mac ?