advice please - wired network can I unplug cable?

teee7 19:59 16 Aug 2006

Hi - hope someone can advice a network novice.
I want to set up a wired network for broadband.
I have 2 PCs - one on XP with network port, one win98 without.
Main PC will need internet access daily, 2nd PC maybe once a week or less.
I know I need a router and the main PC will be connected to this at all times.
My question is can I unplug the 2nd PC from the router when not in use, and only plug it in when needed?
I don't want cables cluttering the house. I know I could go for a wireless network, but want to explore this option first.

ade.h 20:02 16 Aug 2006

Yes. In fact, Ethernet cables are hot-pluggable, the only slight risk being that some adapter/router combinations can fail to get an IP when hot-plugged.

dms05 20:09 16 Aug 2006

I have a part cabled and part WiFi network and connect various laptops to the router by LAN cable as well as by WiFi without problem. As ade.h says 'hot-pluggable'.

Strawballs 22:54 16 Aug 2006

If when the 98 machine is connected the XP will also be why not do away with the router and link the 2 with a crossover cable and use the XP machine as a gateway then all you will need is a ethernet card for the 98 machine and crossover cable.

ade.h 22:56 16 Aug 2006

Routers work a lot better than ICS.

Strawballs 00:17 17 Aug 2006

ade.h I know but he said he only wanted to use the second machine on the net once a week on the net the rest of the time it will be unplugged, normally yes I would agree with you but for such light useage is it really woryh it.

Strawballs 00:18 17 Aug 2006

must be getting tired!!

teee7 11:51 18 Aug 2006

thanks for the replies folks!

teee7 16:47 19 Aug 2006

2nd question:-
Would the modem/router offered free by my ISP that has 1 ethernet port and 1 USB port be ideal for me? (As the older computer doesn't have ethernet port)
Can I unplug the USB cable when not in use (like you said I could the ethernet cable)?
Thanks
Tina (I'm a she not a he!)

ade.h 17:04 19 Aug 2006

You can hot-plug USB cables, yes. But they are not a network format; Ethernet is the only network cable format that you will find in a conventional domestic network.

"Would the modem/router offered free by my ISP....be ideal for me?"

Possibly... (he says with trepidation!) Depends what it is, but free routers can be a bit variable. The best that I have seen offered is a DG834G, though you don't normally get anything so mainstream and if I was buying it, I would prefer one of the better alternatives that are available.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough fights back against sexual misconduct

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Espace de stockage : comment libérer de la mémoire sur votre iPhone ?