Advice on new/better cooler for my cpu.

Bagoo25 15:28 05 Jan 2018

Hello.

For about a month I have been the owner of a new computer unit. With time, I noticed the disturbing temperature of the CPU, while playing but also in idle. During the idle, the temperature remains between 45-55 degrees. And during an hour / two hour game, it even reaches a temperature of 75-80 degrees. What can cause the problem, is it the cooler fault or something else ?

CPU: i7-7700K 4.2 GHz Current Cooler: SilentiumPC FERA 3 HE1224 Case: Corsair SPEC-ALPHA Power Supply: Corsair VS650 650W Motherboard: MSI Z270 PC MATE GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Memory: HyperX Fury Black, DDR4, 16GB,2400MHz Thermal Grease: SilentiumPC Pactum PT-2 Instaled Fans: 3 fans 120mm (3-speed regulator)

wee eddie 16:40 05 Jan 2018

I don't think that those temperatures should be a problem

MJS WARLORD 17:08 05 Jan 2018

as wee eddie says I don't think the temp is a problem but take a look at the notura cpu fans , I have one in my set up , I have 7 fans in total on the various components in my custom built pc , the pc is so quiet that if it did not have lights in it you would not know it was turned on. ... to see the full spec of my rig type " my game breaker rig " into a browser and click on the top entry ... its me.

Menzie 17:30 05 Jan 2018

Have you got the case fans set up in a pull-push configuration.

I have mine set up so that the front fans pull air into the case and the rear fans push the hot air out.

This helps the air to circulate in the case and keeps my temps down. It brings fresh air in for the cooler and gets the old warm air out.

Bagoo25 18:21 05 Jan 2018

Thanks for your replies. I checked fans configuration it is set up correctly, so air circulation works properly. As for cpu coolers I checked Noctua ones as recommended. I found two of them: 1. Noctua NH-D15S 2. Noctua NH-D15. But they probably will not fit into my case due large size (I have to make sure). There is NH-D14 as well, but slightly older then other two.

Flat Earther 20:44 05 Jan 2018

might be worth refitting the cooler, could be that it didn't quite seat properly or perhaps the quantity of thermal paste wasn't right, you don't have much to lose by trying again.

MJS WARLORD, looked at your thread, had to chuckle at the best feature of your PC case.

qwbos 00:42 06 Jan 2018

Power and temperature data suggest you don't have a problem. Resist the temptation to install more fans. Unless you're prepared to install complex control systems and do set ups involving smoke tests, you'll only be wasting money and chasing your own backside.

How is your 3 speed regulator controlled and what does it control?

Bagoo25 00:52 06 Jan 2018

It gives me the possibility that I can manually (via switch) control the speed of the front fans on the casing.

Bagoo25 00:55 06 Jan 2018

Bagoo25 00:59 06 Jan 2018

I have problem with uploading the image, but you can surely notice switch button in the front panel of my case model. (Corsair SPEC-ALPHA)

MJS WARLORD 09:14 06 Jan 2018

Hello flat earther , the reason i mentioned the force restart button in the posting is because the last time i had to pull the plug on a pc the reg got corrupted and would not restart or repair itself so i was stuffed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

Print legends Dan Mumford and Supermundane on making the leap from 2D to AR

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs