Advice on new computer

hiwatt 17:49 26 Dec 2011

Hi folks Could some of you recommend a good desktop computer around the £400 mark? I got a nice slim LED 22.5" HD monitor for christmas but I'm not sure if I'll get the full benefit of the HD as my current computer is 6 years old and it's time for an upgrade. I don't play games!I'm just looking for a good computer for everyday use.Thanks.

Strawballs 18:02 26 Dec 2011

You might consider a barebones where you get the tower with motherboard memory, PSU and CPU fitted and you just transfer things like optical drives etc. all I suggest is you get a new graphics card.

Barebones

PC's

Just remember to add about £80 the cost of windows if you use any of these.

hiwatt 18:15 26 Dec 2011

What is a good up to date graphics card?

Strawballs 18:45 26 Dec 2011

You won't need a top end one unless your intending to play the latest games.

hiwatt 18:12 28 Dec 2011

Hi Folks I've installed my new HD monitor and it's actually slowed the computer down a fair bit?I haven't installed any new drivers for it.Now I do only have (Don't laugh)256mb of RAM on this computer so I know I could definitely be doing with more RAM!Could increasing the screen resolution really slow down the computer a great deal?Here's the Belarc report

1.65 gigahertz AMD Sempron 128 kilobyte primary memory cache 128 kilobyte secondary memory cache 64-bit ready Not hyper-threaded

256 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 256 MB Slot 'A1' is Empty

Display

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000 (Microsoft Corporation) [Display adapter] LG E2260 [Monitor] (21.7")

hiwatt 19:25 28 Dec 2011

Oh yeah as I say I've had this computer for over six years and it has served me well but I know a new computer is needed.Would I be better going with a "bare bones" or an already built PC with OS installed from PC world or something?Can anyone recommend a decent system for around that price(£400)please?Thanks.

hiwatt 21:21 28 Dec 2011

What do you think of this one?As I say I don't play games I just want an up to date computer that will be fast for everyday use and which will give me the benegfit of my HD monitor?The 2nd one is just a bit more expensive but will it be worth paying a bit more fotr that one if I'm not going to be gaming on it?Thanks for the advice folks!

http://www.johnlewis.com/231395790/Product.aspx

http://www.johnlewis.com/231395789/Product.aspx

rdave13 21:34 28 Dec 2011

How about looking here as you already have a case, http://www.novatech.co.uk/motherboardbundles/ No doubt you'll have to add a PSU, GPU card and an Optical drive (sata).

Cheapest upgrade I ever did.

rdave13 21:36 28 Dec 2011

Woolwell

Must have been excellent Champagne over the holidays.....:-|

hiwatt 22:29 28 Dec 2011

rdave13 How about looking here as you already have a case, http://www.novatech.co.uk/motherboardbundles/ No doubt you'll have to add a PSU, GPU card and an Optical drive (sata).

Cheapest upgrade I ever did.

The thing is I've never done my own build and to be honest I'm not competent enough to do so,so I think I'd be much better off buying a complete PC.I'm interested to see what other people here have bought around the same price range and their opinions?Thanks.

rdave13 00:37 29 Dec 2011

hiwatt, it's not really a 'home build' it is a motherboard replacement with all the addons, CPU,RAM all ready there. A bit fiddly to install but if your case is Full ATX then mini or full ATX boards will do. Have a look again and why not give them a ring? If you don't know what a USB header is on a motherboard then Google to see if you can understand, as most mobo's interfaces can be found online. If you think you're not competent you'll always be 'not competent'. Remember that an OEM OS will also add about £80 on top.

On the other hand, if you don't want to do it then any retail store.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What to do if you're affected by the Intel Foreshadow flaw

Illustrator Rose Blake gives a kid-friendly update for David Hockney's art guide A History of…

iMac at 20: 10 iMac facts and history in pictures

Comment afficher des sous-titres sur Netflix ?