advice on hard drive split

chrisjohn 16:31 20 Sep 2008

when i purchased my laptop aspire 5720z it has a c drive and a d drive why is this

chrisjohn 16:34 20 Sep 2008

c drive says acer d drive says data...should i leave like this or can i combine the two d drive is empty.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:53 20 Sep 2008

Assuming op system preinstalled.

If you make sure all your data is on D then you wont lose it if you have to to a factory restore in case of an op system failure.

DieSse 17:01 20 Sep 2008

You can move your My Documents (which should be where you keep all your data, for easy backups) - to the D drive.

Right click My Documents - click Properties - click Move - and follow the instructions.

chrisjohn 22:40 20 Sep 2008

many thanks

Sea Urchin 00:14 21 Sep 2008

The D drive is not empty - it contains a hidden partition with the system recovery software so that, as Fruit Bat /\0/\ says above, you can restore to factory settings if necessary. But there is also plenty of room for your other data files.

DieSse 00:55 21 Sep 2008

"The D drive is not empty - it contains a hidden partition"

The D drive IS a partition - it cannot contain a hidden partition.

It might contain a hidden folder - but Acers normally have yet another partition which is hidden, but by definition cannot be the visible D partition.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough fights back against sexual misconduct

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Espace de stockage : comment libérer de la mémoire sur votre iPhone ?