Advice On Graphics Card

tbh72 14:20 03 Mar 2003

Hi Guy's & Gal's

Once again I hold myself ransom to your suggestions. I ask myself this question, would I benefit from a new graphics card?

I primarily run win2k, and also use 98se. my mobo is a PCChips M810LR (originally - 1.1Ghz) With a flashed bios (now Athlon XP 2000+). My machine is currently configured to use 32mb of system memory.

Will I benefit a great deal by using a graphics card & appossed system memory.? Budget is also an important factor (cheapest).

My mobo manual has a list of compatible cards, none of which appear to be available anymore? So can you advise as to which would be best to go for.

Many thanks - look forward to your replies

tbh72 15:07 03 Mar 2003

Bump..... Not that im desperate for answers!!!

Scarthy © ® ™ 15:29 03 Mar 2003

Does your Mobo have an AGP slot, or just PCI ones? This factor could determine what and how much you pay...(;o)))

tbh72 15:39 03 Mar 2003

The manual say's it has an AGP4X Slot and recommends the following card examples:

32mb Geforce 2 MX (Manufactured by Asus, Elsa or WinFast)

32mb Nvidia Geforce (Manufactured by Asus, Creative or Top Solution)

All of the cards listed in the manual are either 16mb or 32mb. Please don't forget I have flashed the bios & the mobo now support's the athlon XP2000+. The bios will allow me to set the onboard graphics to 64mb MAX.

Scarthy © ® ™ 15:50 03 Mar 2003

I would think that any GF/ATI card will do then as it has AGP4x.
My card is a 64MB DDR 8500LE card. I believe that Crucial are doing the 128MB version (or their version of it) for around £68 inc vat, delivered. It all depends if you prefer ATI to nVidia. I would go for at least 64MB of memory on the card.

Alternatively shop around for any 64/128MB AGP4x cards. There are loads out there !

Am I right in assuming that you are using onboard graphics at the moment? If so then you would benefit greatly from a card. This would free up your main processor and memory and run games etc alot better...(;o)))

Scarthy © ® ™ 15:50 03 Mar 2003

I would think that any GF/ATI card will do then as it has AGP4x.
My card is a 64MB DDR 8500LE card. I believe that Crucial are doing the 128MB version (or their version of it) for around £68 inc vat, delivered. It all depends if you prefer ATI to nVidia. I would go for at least 64MB of memory on the card.

Alternatively shop around for any 64/128MB AGP4x cards. There are loads out there !

Am I right in assuming that you are using onboard graphics at the moment? If so then you would benefit greatly from a card. This would free up your main processor and memory and run games etc alot better...(;o)))

Scarthy © ® ™ 15:51 03 Mar 2003

oops...double clicked the link !

tbh72 15:57 03 Mar 2003

The most intensive graphical thing I do is to watch the occassional V-CD, but I have also started using MS PhotoDRAW, which I find very demanding, if improvement's can be made by using a GC instead of onboard then it's something I will buy.

Am I right in assuming that if I opt for a card listed in the manual it should work fine, even though the new card would have double the memory.

Scarthy © ® ™ 20:29 03 Mar 2003

Yes, I can't see why not. You will benefit from an AGP4x card also. The 32MB cards will be for next to nothing as well now. (;o)))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?