Advice on DVD writer please

tasslehoff burrfoot 20:59 09 Jul 2005

Hi

I am on the lookout for a multi format DVD writer.

I have found a couple of LG ones that seem okay and are nice and cheap.

Both seem to be dual layer, compatible with +, - and RAM. Is there anything else I ought to think about about?

These are them:

click here

click here

The black would look better as my PC is a kind of black. Any reason that the other is better?

Or are the better ones available at a similar price point?

Thanks

Tas

tasslehoff burrfoot 21:02 09 Jul 2005

my other question.

They are both only compatible with + dual layer. Can you get - dual layer? If so will this be much of a problem?

Thanks

Tas

Completealias 21:26 09 Jul 2005

Both the drives are exactly the same apart from the colour of course, the - dual layer format hasn't been released yet so you won't have any problems with that and when they are released there may well be a firmware update to add support for it.

I am looking at getting exactly the same drive myself as as far as I can see it seems to be the best drive around at the mo

wallbash 22:17 09 Jul 2005

I bought the first' beige one, paid £44. thought it was a bargain then , so at that price , go for it!

Wonderful bit of kit

bretsky 22:52 09 Jul 2005

Don't know if this is of any use click here

bretsky ;0)

tasslehoff burrfoot 00:26 10 Jul 2005

Bretsky, The NEC looks good but it doesn't have RAM which I would like.

Bearing in mind that anything I burn will only be used by me, is having - dual layer particularly important?

Thanks Tas

Completealias 00:32 10 Jul 2005

Depends on what your burning I guess, if you have large video files etc then the dual layer will come in handy. The dual layer disks are still quite pricy at the mo I think

BRYNIT 10:13 10 Jul 2005

I've just purchased the LG GSA4163B (beige) retail from PCworld only £38.76 if ordered via web site and collected from store. If you take into account P&P PCworld is only £3 more and you don't have to wait for the post to arrive.

tasslehoff burrfoot 21:22 10 Jul 2005

I'm going to order one.

Cheers

Tas

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?