Advice on cleaning Windows 10 PC

csqwared 15:59 14 Jan 2019
Answered

I volunteer at a Foodbank and we've been donated a HP Pavillion 500 with Win10 installed plus all the previous owner's details/data. We want to keep the Win10 installation + the Office suite that's installed and clean the rest off. I have Dariks Boot and Nuke which is not suitable for what we want to do. What's the best way of doing this? Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:47 14 Jan 2019

I would normally say get the serial numbers and reinstal but it depends on how the office suite is tied in

What office suite?

csqwared 17:31 14 Jan 2019

It's MS Office but I don't know which version off-hand, most likely MS Office 10. There's also a recovery partition on the HDD but I don't know if that would include the Office suite. Thanks.

john bunyan 17:57 14 Jan 2019

You could install CCleaner (Free). Then manually uninstall unwanted programmes and data files. Then run the CCleaner "Wipe free space" with 3 overwrites. It takes hours but should be good enough. Check for anything left and defrag.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:32 14 Jan 2019

Run Belarc to find the serial numbers and devices installed.

do a clean install (wipe the drive using windows media boot tool click here to download office and reinstall

href

BRYNIT 19:10 14 Jan 2019

The HP Pavillion only came with a trial version of office and had win 8-8.1 and would have been upgraded to Win 10.

As per Fruit Bat /\0/\ Belarc should tell you the Office version and product key. You can download MS Office from CLICK HERE as long as you have the product key, I would do this first just to confirm the Product key works before you wipe the HDD and do a clean install.

csqwared 19:55 14 Jan 2019

Thanks folks.

I have Belarc on a spare drive so I'll start there perhaps. Is there any mileage in trying to restore from the recovery partition or will that go back to Win 8.1 without the Office suite?

Bryint - spot on. There's a Windows 8.1 sticker on the side of the case.

csqwared 20:31 14 Jan 2019

Now I've had a look with Belarc the Office suite is Office 365, there is a 'software licence' number but no key. In brackets (Key: None activated). Is this an issue?

csqwared 21:01 14 Jan 2019

Just run Excel and Belarc now shows just the last five digits of the key. It says the rest of the key is not stored on the computer.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:24 14 Jan 2019

Office 365 is yearly subscription so you might as well forget it and do a clean install of win 10

csqwared 14:22 15 Jan 2019
Answer

*Fruit Bat /\0/*

Thanks for that. I did Google Office 365 and realised about the subscription. Just have to go with it and do a clean install of Win 10 and work out the office bit later. I use LibreOffice myself but there are enough differences to make it awkward for the other volunteers working in the office.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Sega Mega Drive Mini review: Hands-on

Project Gemini is now Adobe Fresco: Hands-on and release date

macOS Catalina Preview: First look at the new Mac update

Les meilleures enceintes Bluetooth à moins de 150 euros