Advice on Budget Build - AMD CPU & Motherboard

Giggle n' Bits 17:07 13 Apr 2003

Trying to put together a basic system using either a AMD Duron or AthlonXP CPU using a motherboard with Intergrated Audio & VGA.

There are so many Motherboards with built in Audio & VGA I know, but I am near the click here and could do with buying from them.

I expect this subject of budget building has been covered time and time again. But with hardware changing the next day/week etc.

Anyone built a budget computer recently or recently built a new computer using a M/board with Intergrated built in VGA & Audio ?.

I will not moan at anyone if I find any recomendations be a dead dog.

What with Nvidia boards, Sis & Via its who's best or reasonable.

Notice MSI & Soltek have a mix of these boards.

Joe McG 17:29 13 Apr 2003

AquaVibe,

The Abit NF7S nFORCE 2 Mobo is one of the best quality available. It has onboard Gforce4 Vga, 5.1 surround sound, usb 2.0, firewire, and everything else you could need.

I realize that at just under £100, it's not the cheapest available, but it should keep you in good terms with your P.C. for years to come.

P.S. If you want to upgrade the VGA for some seriously heavy gaming, you just need to add one of the top range GFX cards.

Here is an in-depth review of the board.click here
And micro-direct sell it.

AquaVibe,

The Abit NF7S nFORCE 2 Mobo is one of the best quality available. It has onboard Gforce4 Vga, 5.1 surround sound, usb 2.0, firewire, and everything else you could need.

I realize that at just under £100, it's not the cheapest available, but it should keep you in good terms with your P.C. for years to come.

P.S. If you want to upgrade the VGA for some seriously heavy gaming, you just need to add one of the top range GFX cards.

Here is an in-depth review of the board.click here
And micro-direct sell it.

sorry about the double-click.

gingepaul 17:42 13 Apr 2003

not to mention that the nforce 2 boards are the best out at the monent
get 256/ 512 ddr 400 and u have a fairly cheap system that will eat most things u could thow at it

woodchip 18:06 13 Apr 2003

What about this, as a basic computer almost built CPU Graphics Sound all onboard You cannot update the CPU. But at that price who would want to. It would just need a stick of memory and drives click here

pj123 18:10 13 Apr 2003

Try here and click on bundles click here

Paroxetine 18:32 13 Apr 2003

Sorry to mention another mag, but then if the forum want to then go ahead and shot me, I wont be moving too fast :D

Pc Pro have a special this month on main boards, they are not exactly budget as they start at about £80 and up, but the prices are worth comparing with other simlilar system boards around and it does allow you to glance at all boards with ease.

Also, the www. savastore .com does some good bundles with mobo, ram and CPU.

Hope this is of some help.

P

PS am building a system with MSI KT4 board, integrated sound but no graphics. Still its a good board and stable too.

Rayuk 18:43 13 Apr 2003

You must also be close to here
click here
as well so check them out and if they have anything cheaper, then ask Micro to price match for you.
Are you building from scratch or do you have any components already.Have recently bought MSIK7N2G-L has onboard graphics lan and 6 channel sound.[NForce2 board]If you go this option make sure the memory you get is fully compatible before you buy it.

Murray 19:00 13 Apr 2003

I'm a bout to build a really budget PC for a friend, the bare box is going to be around £200 and I'm getting all the bits from dabs.com

literally taking the cheapest (or nearly) from each product line, normally works, just as long as you know what you're looking for.

The motherboard I'm going for is
ASRock Inc. SoA VIA KM266 MATX A V L £38.73 ex VAT Quicklinx: 2D1SWS. It has built in Sound, video (not greatest, but will do basic games and windows work fine) and networking.

you really cant complain for 40 quid!

I know some ppl will moan if you always go for the cheapest, but sometimes they are all you need.

But then I should eat my hat as I spent £120 on my latest MB (tis sweet tho - 4 IDE channels and gets thru the BIOS in about 3seconds!)

If you want one step up, then the Nforce M'boards are good for modeerate gaming. What sort of a budget are you on? and how bothered are you about having the best performance?

Giggle n' Bits 21:38 13 Apr 2003

ALL above computer literate people here, Thank all great intresting reading and imput.

Would like to personally contact Murray, please advise Murray if I can/cannot mail you direct. I would like to talk more.

Thank you all above, I will leave the post open for a while.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)