Advice on BB Modems needed

Bagsey 21:40 30 Aug 2004

I am on BtYahoo BB usibg an Alcatel Speedtouch modem. I was on a 500K connection and about 4 weeks ago changed to a 1meg connection expecting things to be even faster but I find little or no difference and in some cases it seems slower. I has been suggested to me that the Modem I am using is a 500k modem and could be causing a hold up thus slowing down my connection. Can anyone please tell me if this could be the case or must I look elswhere for the problem. Any advice welcomed.

_plAsma 22:14 30 Aug 2004

there are many different speedtouch modems (click here)

-Depending on the one you have it may possibley be restricted to 500k speeds.

The popular Speedtouch 330 which many ISP's supply goes up to 8megs downstream so there would be no problem with that modem...

thanks,
_plAsma

_plAsma 22:14 30 Aug 2004

there are many different speedtouch modems (click here)

-Depending on the one you have it may possibley be restricted to 500k speeds.

The popular Speedtouch 330 which many ISP's supply goes up to 8megs downstream so there would be no problem with that modem...

thanks,
_plAsma

Dipso 22:50 30 Aug 2004

I recently upgraded from half meg to 1 meg and have been a little disappointed in the speeds which like you describe can sometimes be slower than on half meg.

It was explained to me that it could be because when you upgrade your connection you are moved to another card within the exchange and that the new card has heavier usage.

I also use a Speedtouch modem (330) but this can take up to 8 meg so it isn't that. In fact as far as I could see, all the home modems in the link seemed to take up to 8 meg so unless you have a really old one...

However, I can get 950 down at off peak times so I can live with it.

Bagsey 23:26 30 Aug 2004

Thanks for your advice. The Speedtouch that I have is the 330 so as you say it is not the cause of my problem. I must now try having a moan at Bt. It seems crazy to go to a faster connection then get slower results. I may as well pay less and go back to my 500k connection. Anyway thanks for your replies.

Dipso 21:30 31 Aug 2004

...I would be interested to know how you get on.

We are not the only people to been experiencing this problem after upgrading. Check out ADSL Guide's message boards for more info.

Can you post back after you contact your ISP?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?