Adsl usb modem ext cable RJ-11 which one?

  x2 zero 15:03 05 Nov 2005

I need to buy this to reach the bt socket on
the landing,i have seen 2 one says RJ-11 male
to male.the other says male to female which
do i need to get before my free modem arrives.

  PaulB2005 15:05 05 Nov 2005

Male to female. Your modem comes with a male to male. You need to plug one male end into the female end of a female to male to act as an extension.

  x2 zero 19:37 05 Nov 2005

What does the RJ-11 male to male ext connect
too as i have seen 5m and 10m in length.

  DieSse 22:36 05 Nov 2005

All equipment (eg your modem) has sockets (ie females). Wall plugs also have sockets.

Thus a male/male cable is the one you will normally use for connecting a piece of equipmemt to a wall socket.

Your mdem will therefore come with a male/male.

A male/female is only for extending an existing cable.

A single (ie direct male/male) is better than an extended cable - so use one of those in preference to buying an extension cable. If you can't buy one long enough, anf half-decent phone shop sould make you one - but get them to use top quality cable, rather than the standard poor quality phone cable.

  Stuartli 23:29 05 Nov 2005

Good quality, low cost cables (and spliters) at CPC in Preston:

click here

  alexgray104 01:18 06 Nov 2005

Basically male/male is a really long version of what you have at the moment , this would be better. Male/Female is an extension cable to which one end goes into the wall and you plug in the other cable you already have at the other end, But all wires lose quality at connections, so I'd go for Male/Male

  x2 zero 20:09 06 Nov 2005

Thanks for replys very welcome.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?