ADSL sharing working, but not working... HELP!!!!

Xevious 20:51 29 Jun 2004

make sense? nor does this problem.

let's set the scene: 3 PC's. All running Windows XP. None have firewalls, and Win XP firewall disabled. PC1 has BT ADSL (via USB) working on it, no problems there. PC2 and PC3 can see PC1 on the network, can see the broadband connection in "My Network Places" but cannot connect to internet!!!???

give the usual 404 error...

IP ranges fine, subnets identical, and gateway points to PC1's IP address. The Windows XP connection wizard doesn't help either, and on PC2 and PC3 it configures different IP addresses than what is set on PC1...?

Please assist in ANY way you can, it would be appreciated!

thx...

duckers 21:29 29 Jun 2004

Buy a router for 20 quid, that will solve all your problems and give you additional security with all your PC's behind a firewall.

Xevious 21:33 29 Jun 2004

when i say "no firewall" i mean it's disabled, so there is one - when all this is working!

i tend to agree that the router would do the job, but am i guaranteed that it'll solve this problem? this problem seems to me like it's related to IE? as it doesn't know that it needs to connect with the shared connection??? maybe my head's been turning too much today, and can't think straight anymore...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:01 29 Jun 2004

Run the internet connecton wizard on all 3 computers

Xevious 22:11 29 Jun 2004

"The Windows XP connection wizard doesn't help either"

any other clues?

woodt 23:47 29 Jun 2004

Have you tried start/help and support and then just type ICS in the search box.

pipedream 00:16 30 Jun 2004

Silly question perhaps, but have you shared the internet connection on PC1? (Control Panel > Network Connections > Right-click connection icon > Properties > Advanced > tick "Allow other network users to connect...")

Xevious 07:04 30 Jun 2004

yes, it is shared, thx anyway

woodt, looking into that right now, thx

any more ideas anyone?

Xevious 09:58 30 Jun 2004

is there any way that maybe BT have altered their ADSL software to change a setting which will actively disable (or disallow) Internet Connection Sharing? or am i thinking of conspiracy theories again?

trying to find a solution...

fitshase 12:20 30 Jun 2004

"IP ranges fine, subnets identical, and gateway points to PC1's IP address. The Windows XP connection wizard doesn't help either, and on PC2 and PC3 it configures different IP addresses than what is set on PC1...?"

As far as I am aware, each computer should have a different IP address otherwise things will not work. If PC1 has 192.168.0.1 then PC2 should have 192.168.0.2 and PC3 should have 192.168.0.3 (or similar because trying to set each computer with the same IP address will cause errors).

Regards

Fitshase

AndySD 12:48 30 Jun 2004

Disabling the firewall does not always sort this out...I have had to remove Zone Alarm and Norton to get networks to work. But b4 you try that have you tried looking in the firewall hep section to see how to enable networking.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?