Adsl router

neil67 11:56 18 Sep 2006

I have been offered free of charge a cable/dsl router,i am unsure if i can use this i dont think i can but would like someone too let me know.
It is a linksys model no BEFSR41 ver.2,i am on virgin broadband.
Hope someone can help
thanks neil

dms05 12:40 18 Sep 2006

It looks as if the Linksys may be for use on a Cable connection. If your Virgin BB comes over a BT copper wire system then you would need an ADSL router.

neil67 12:45 18 Sep 2006

ok thanks for your time

ade.h 14:29 18 Sep 2006

That is indeed a Cable/DSL router, so no go for you I'm afraid.

r2wtrials 16:22 20 Sep 2006

.. may be worth contacting virgin and telling them you may move to another provider who offers a free wireless router.... you may be lucky and they will send you one free of charge if you stay. Works best if your 12 months is coming up :)

Tim1964 17:57 20 Sep 2006

As it's a Cable/DSL router it will work with either a cable BB service (NTL) OR an ADSL BB service (i.e. Virgin).

As the router hasn't a modem in it, it will require an ADSL modem, which I guess you already have as you're on Virgin.

I'm using the same wireless router with my ADSL service as I did when I was with NTL.

ade.h 18:00 20 Sep 2006

That only applies to a number of specific DSL routers and a smaller number of ADSL modems. You have generalised your advice far too much.

Tim1964 23:02 20 Sep 2006

To quote the linksys site

click here

"Share your high-speed cable or DSL Internet connection with multiple computers"

My Linksys wireless router doesn't need to 'know' what type of modem it's connected to as long as it's a modem via ethernet.

ade.h 15:56 21 Sep 2006

Tim, that is a cable/DSL router. For cable connections. PPPoE, not PPPoA. Okay? It might work, provided you have the correct interface; it would require a modem with an RJ45 interface and ADSL/RJ45 modems are very unusual. Conversly, some old routers used to come with a supplementary USB socket to accept USB modems. Likewise, rare.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

HomePod review

Streaming : Netflix ou Amazon Prime Video ?