Admin Access on a laptop XP

Mr White 08:45 20 Apr 2005

I have a company laptop where my account had administrator access. This was removed and a local administrator account was created.
I now have to change the accounts when i need to do certain tasks.

Is there a method of giving me admin access on the local laptop without having to login as another user and non admin access when connected to the company network.

thanks

BEN MARSHALL 21:14 30 Apr 2005

THIS WILL ONLY WORK IF THE LAPTOP IS ON WINDOWS XP OR NT, AND MAY SHOW UP ON THE COMPANY NETWORK

IN WINDOWS THERE IS HIDDEN ACCOUNTS ALL READY CREATED E.G. ADMINISTRATOR IF YOU WERE TO START THE PC IN SAFE MODE (run > msconfig > boot safe mode or VGA mode) (or hold F8 at imediat boot > safe mode),YOU COULD LOGON AS "ADMINISTRATOR" AND CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT BY THE FOLLOWING METHOD:

Start> Run> type "control userpassword2" > New account (Acount name) (do not put full name) > select power user > Finish.

Restart Windows, Uncheck the boot in safe mode box (minimal drivers & devices.

when the pc comes on as far as the Administrator of the system is concerned according to the users panel in Controll pannle every thing is the same you are limited but you can install and do basicly most things nut not system restores or edit critical windows files!

Hope this helps, PS. Sorry about the spelling & grammer. BEN .

wx622 09:23 04 May 2005

The runas command is very useful, as long as you are running Win 2000 or XP. If you know the password to the local Administrator account, then you can create shortcuts to programs that require Admin access:

e.g.

runas.exe /noprofile /user:[email protected] "name of program"

The /noprofile switch means that the admin profile will not be loaded. If this does not work, leave out this switch, but make sure you include /env

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?