An additional plug-in is required to display some elements on this page

jrb1946 12:06 08 Nov 2011

As soon as I open a new link or a new email, (using Chrome as my browser) this message appears at the top of the page "An additional plug-in is required to display some elements on this page"

I am offered "install plug-in", "problems installing", and an x at the right hand end. It is, needless to say, becoming very irritating because it happens everytime a new page is brought up and there appear to be no benefits to clicking any of the 3 options. Still the message returns. I use WXp pro sp3 Sophos AV (so unlikely to be a nasty)

A google search suggested that something needed to be changed in Skype. But none of the message posters were very clear about what needed to me changed. Clicking "install problems" suggests I might not have upto date JAVA. I have Java version 6 build 29 and the thing set to automatic updates. It is fully upto date therefore.

Could someone tell me to to get rid of this irritation - for good - please? John

jrb1946 19:50 08 Nov 2011

Thanks, that's fixed it. I was though looking for the spanner in Skype for a short while (doh!) but of course as everyone else knew it's at the top right of Chrome.

iscanut 19:57 08 Nov 2011

I had been tearing my hair out with the same problem and had given up using Chrome. Thanks Woolwell...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Shadow of the Tomb Raider review

Women and LGBT+ comic artists find a home with diverse publisher Avery Hill

iPhone XS vs iPhone X: What is the difference?

Keynote Apple : les iPhone XR, XS, XS Max et l'Apple Watch Series 4