adding a second hard drive

bigboab y 18:33 28 Dec 2005

I have had a look through the posts on here ,but they dont quite answer my question ..which is .. My existing 40 gig hard drive is working its ticket (noisy,erratic boot up etc.) so I bought another 40 gig on Ebay from a good supplier. I went to format the "new" one and noticed it was already set up for NTFS. I carried on regardless and loaded windows XP on to it.I would like to move my data off the old drive on to the new one,but I noticed the oldy is FAT32. I have the new drive as master and the old drive as slave. Can I move files between the two drives without any great bother . I dont want to start trying in case I screw something up..Thanks in anticipation

Fingees 18:38 28 Dec 2005

Yes windows Xp will recognise both sytems. so just tranfer what you want over.

You won't upset anything.

Best wishes

Happy New Year.

bigboab y 18:40 28 Dec 2005

Is it then a case of "send to",or is there a better way Fingees?

woodchip 18:40 28 Dec 2005

If it's setup for NTFS! I can definitely say you have been had. the drive is second hand. Take the Old drive out then change the new to Master and old to Slave. You may need to run repair for it to boot.

click here

Format the old drive in Win Exlorer It will be OK as Fat32, use it as a backup drive. To format you should be able to just right click the drive and choose format

woodchip 18:41 28 Dec 2005

If it's setup for NTFS! I can definitely say you have been had. the drive is second hand. Take the Old drive out then change the new to Master and old to Slave. You may need to run repair for it to boot.

click here

Format the old drive in Win Explorer It will be OK as Fat32, use it as a backup drive. To format you should be able to just right click the drive and choose format

bigboab y 18:42 28 Dec 2005

when I said I bought a "new" drive ..I meant "Another" drive ..It is second hand with a 3 month guarantee.. it also took XP no bother..I have it set as master and the old one as slave

woodchip 18:49 28 Dec 2005

Does it show as C:\ drive and does it start OK? You can move Docs OK and photos but not Programs these you will have to reload

PC Bilbo 18:50 28 Dec 2005

If you can read your old drive from XP in the "new" drive you should be able to "drag and drop" your documents over.

woodchip 18:51 28 Dec 2005

yes

bigboab y 22:57 28 Dec 2005

All ok this end now ... easy peasy .. thanks/guys/gals once again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)