adding more ram to budget pc

MJS WARLORD 21:04 17 Jan 2018

i have a spare packard bell pc that i use as a test rig , it only has 2 ram slots and currently has 2x2gb of ram.

i also have some spare 4gb ram sticks that also came from a packard bell pc.

apart from the memory size the only other markings on all the ram sticks is ddr3 and the initials pcs. ... the only other details on the sticks are serial numbers.

My question is this.... can i do any damage by swapping the 2x2gb sticks for the 2x4 gb rams sticks. ... do i need to find out any more about the individual ram sticks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:44 17 Jan 2018

your need to check its the same voltage

google the RAm serials numbers and see what comes up.

alanrwood 10:52 18 Jan 2018

No point in this if you are not using a 64 bit version of Windows.(assuming you are in fact using Windows). £2 bit can only recognise a max of around 3.4 GB.

alanrwood 10:52 18 Jan 2018

£2 should be 32. Typo

MJS WARLORD 17:40 18 Jan 2018

thanks for replies guys , the pc is 64 bit , no idea what the voltage of the ram is because I have googled the numbers on the ram sticks without success , no proper s/n , I think the numbers must be random batch production numbers and the makers probably don't expect users to change them. The spare pc is 5 years old so I might just hold my breath and risk the swap from 2x2 gb to the 2x4 gb that I have. If it goes pear shaped I will just replace it.

qwbos 21:37 18 Jan 2018

If you know the PC the RAM came out of, you should be able to get the spec using the Crucial upgrade advisor tool.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?