Adding another IDE port

Muckleface 12:32 26 Nov 2003

Hi,

I currently have two optical drives plugged into one of my IDE ports on my motherboard, and two hard disk drives plugged into the other IDE port on my motherboard.

I want to add another optical drive to my PC, but I dont have an IDE port to plug t into!

So far the only solution I can find is a "USB 2.0 to IDE Adaptor" which is on sale for £29.99 at Maplin.

What is the cheapest and/or easiest way to add another IDE slot to my PC or is the above mentioned adapter my only option?

Cheers,

Jordan

Jester2K II 12:36 26 Nov 2003

You can also buy PCI IDE Cards for about £20.

click here

stlucia 12:36 26 Nov 2003

The neatest solution, for about the same price, is to install an adapter card inside your PC. Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 PCI adaptor is one which, I believe, gives you two extra IDE plugs.

Muckleface 12:44 26 Nov 2003

I do have a Serial ATA RAID function on my motherboard, but I cant get it to work with an optical drive, it only seems to work when I use a HDD (which I dont want to do as I used to have both my HDDs on it but had major problems with RAID and lost a lot of data). Ive tried EVERYTHING to get it to work but it just wont do it! It has a phobia of optical drives!

Jordan

stlucia 12:50 26 Nov 2003

In my opinion, if you are simply looking to install extra devices, steer clear of the adapter cards which also have RAID functions. I tried one once and, in a nutshell, it was so unreliable that I got my money back on it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

25 book design and illustration tips

iMac Pro review

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts