Add XP as 2ND OS to Windows 10 PC

bluetwo 12:59 24 Feb 2018

I have a lot of software programmes which work with XP but not Windows 10. I would like to add XP (I have a disc and key) to my PC. The PC has Windows 10 installed. Thanks you.

Jollyjohn 12:38 25 Feb 2018

It would appear yes you can.

Download VirtualBox and install it on the external drive.

Then when you create a Virtual Hard Drive for XP - double check it is created on the same external drive.

Don't forget the "Extensions pack" Download this and save to external drive. Once you have created a virtual machine for XP you may be prompted for the "Guest additions cd" - this is the Extension pack - it should install and give you more features on the virtual pc including USB connection to hardware.

Jollyjohn 16:40 25 Feb 2018

I have successfully installed Windows XP onto a Virtual PC on an external hard drive using VirtualBox.

Note - you need to install Service Pack 3 for XP before it will connect to the Activation centre and Activate over the internet. You MUST activate within 30 days otherwise you will get stuck at the log in screen!!

Jollyjohn 10:47 04 Mar 2018

and a week later it is still working even having unplugged the external hard drive when the PC booted. Plugged it back in and clicked on the desktop shortcut - OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo A9 2020 Review

The year's best animated short Hair Love is finally online

Mac Pro 2019 release date, price, features & specs

Cdiscount : la PS4 Pro 1 To + 5 jeux à moins de 400 €