Add XP as 2ND OS to Windows 10 PC

bluetwo 12:59 24 Feb 2018

I have a lot of software programmes which work with XP but not Windows 10. I would like to add XP (I have a disc and key) to my PC. The PC has Windows 10 installed. Thanks you.

MJS WARLORD 13:46 24 Feb 2018

hi bluetwo , I don't know how to do it but I would like to share this information with you. .... operating systems are electronically tagged to the motherboard of the pc you put it on so you may not be able to do what you want , if a pc motherboard dies the op sys disc does not always install on the new board but if you contact Microsoft you have to tell them your discs code for them void it and then they give you a new code that somehow lets you use the disc.

WARNING... be very careful with adding 2 op sys to a pc , I put Linux on an old pc and during installation I said yes to too many partitioning questions , I got Linux working but because I did it wrong I destroyed windows..... please be careful.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:48 24 Feb 2018

very difficult to add an older op system on top of a newer one and I wonder if there are XP drivers to suit the hardware in your machine.

Esiest way to go is to install it in a virtual machine click here

beeuuem~2 14:55 24 Feb 2018

It can be done but isn't as easy as installing W10 with XP already installed see href here

beeuuem~2 19:20 24 Feb 2018

Sorry about that - the link is click here

Jollyjohn 20:00 24 Feb 2018

I would recommend using VirtualBox - install XP as a Virtual PC on W10 - come back if you need more info....

wee eddie 21:32 24 Feb 2018

Does not Windows 10 have a Legacy Mode that might help you

bluetwo 22:23 24 Feb 2018

Thank you MIS WARLORD, Fruit Bat/\o/\, beewen-2,Jollyjohn and wee eddie. I hope I got your names right - my eyes aren't as good as they used yo be. Considering the advice you have all offered and, because I could foul it up with my etesight, I have decided to leave well alone. I, 've done enough reformatting my time and I think I'll just give it a miss. Thank you all sincere. Great help.

Jollyjohn 09:02 25 Feb 2018

By using VirtualBox - click here It avoids the need to partition / format your drive. The program installs and then creates a folder on your hard drive. This is where you can then install XP. You can then run XP without having to reboot. I used VirtualBox on a Linux PC with Windows XP, 7 & 10 as virtual installations with very few problems.

bluetwo 09:55 25 Feb 2018

Thank you Jollyjohn, I'm still a little cagey about the installation. As I said earlier my eyesight is not good and getting worse, if I had a real problem I could be in the soup. When you said "with very few problems" can you qualify that? I would really like to bo it but am reticent about what problems there may be. Thank you again.

bluetwo 09:58 25 Feb 2018

Hi Jollyjohn, Is it possible to load on an external Hard Drive?

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment bloquer les pop-up sur Android ?