Hot Topics

Add a wi-fi connection

MrNewName 12:20 06 Mar 2012

Here is the situation:

5 story house

I have BT infinity connection with modem /router on ground floor. Wireless signal can be picked up easily until second floor. Third and fourth floors have very poor signal so I have run a cable from modem to top floor - completely hidden so no issues there.

On the top floor I have a Netgear network switch FS605 running three cables into three rooms. All works fine.

What I want now is to replace the Netgear switch with one that also offers a wi-fi connection so that my iPhone / iPad can connect via wi-fi on the top floor. I still need the wired capability.

Can anyone recommend one for me please? Home Network Plugs are not an option as the top two floors are on a different circuit for some reason.

Thanks for any advice and I'd appreciate solutions to be as fool-proof as possible; adding the Netgear switch was no problem and hopefully replacing it with a wireless enabled one will be equally straightforward.

Many thanks.

Strawballs 19:13 09 Mar 2012

If your adding a router to the network you won't need another one with built in Modem that is why I said a cable router.

difarn 10:43 10 Mar 2012

Hi - just came upon this article (via Daily Telegraph technical page) which may interest you. Gives step by step, very clear, instructions on how to set up a wireless access point (daisy chain) in a situation that sounds like your own.

MrNewName 17:14 10 Mar 2012

Thanks again; very useful article which sums up my situation pretty well!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Pixelbook Go review

All the Creative Live Streams that'll save 2020

Different Think: Apple, stop being so successful!

French Days 2020 : dates, sites participants & bons plans