add pc to network

checkout 07:06 16 Apr 2005

I have two pcs networked together via cable. I would like to add another pc.Can I get a network card with two outlets or do I need some sort of hub?. Would like to keep to cable rather then wireless.

Diodorus Siculus 08:04 16 Apr 2005

I think that you need a hub when there are more than two PCs. A quick post in the network forum might confirm for you. click here

mgmcc 11:46 16 Apr 2005

Normally, you would need a network hub/switch to add a third PC. However, if you have a PC running Windows XP, it is very simple to install a second network adapter (if you have a free PCI slot) and then "bridge" the two Local Area Connections.

Ivor_Monkey 12:01 16 Apr 2005

Forget about hubs. You need a router. This will give you indepedent access to the internet from all machines, is better future proof, and often includes a firewall.

Cables: If you have your 2 pcs connected directly then (I think) it has to be using crossover cable. For a router, you will need straight cable. THe cables will need to be replaced, or there may be some thingy you put on the ends to uncross them -provided the crossed cables were crossed in a standard way(?)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?