Adaware Web Companion Unistalled Properly?

NeedHelpdotcom 18:33 29 Aug 2018

I was downloading uTorrent, and sadly enough, even though I never agreed to installing anything else, I ended up getting the Adaware Web Companion on my computer. When I launched my browser (Chrome), it said that it had been added, but I pressed remove instead. So as far as I can tell there is no harm done there.

I also believe I managed to uninstall it. Even though I went to applications and it said that there was no associated program with the file, luckily I was able to uninstall it via the startpanel. So, to my knowledge, this is now deleted off of my computer, but since I am no technician, and these types of programs are often sketchy, is there any way I can make sure that there are no leftovers that are going to turn my computer into a mong? Is it fine to trust the uninstall confirmation from the site/program?

Thanks in advance

NeedHelpdotcom 18:34 29 Aug 2018

And, by the way, is there any way of installing uTorrent without getting all this other rubbish?

Forum Editor 18:37 29 Aug 2018

If you want to be sure that there are no remnants lurking in your computer, install the free version of AVG and let it scan your registry.

NeedHelpdotcom 18:38 29 Aug 2018

I ran a quick search on Norton Security, and it showed nothing. Is this fine to use instead of AVG?

MJS WARLORD 23:17 29 Aug 2018

ccleaner gets rid of all sorts of left overs , check your browsers and disable the add ins etc , also make sure no entries ENABLED for a program you got rid of because windows will delay start up looking for a program you don't have.

go to add / remove and uninstall anything you don't recognise, the so called extas might still be there running in the background

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)