ad-aware 2008 anti-virus/nod 32

brigtoo 14:41 22 May 2008

i am running ad-aware 2007 plus and can update to 2008 plus version which now has an anti-virus element. anybody know if its ok to run the new 2008 plus version and my anti virus nod32 programme together, as i understand two anti virus progs. running together can cause problems.

Technotiger 14:49 22 May 2008

You are right, no two anti-virus on the same PC. I use the Free Ad-Aware 2008, very good too IMHO.

rawprawn 14:57 22 May 2008

I am running AdAware 2008 Plus, I think that your are confusing Anti Virus, and AntiMalware. There is no AV in AdAware 2008 Plus and it willcause no problemsfor your AV.

rawprawn 15:04 22 May 2008

Sorry brigtoo,you are right I have just found it in Settings, but it is not activated by default,so if you don't activate it you willbe OK.
I will look at this further

rawprawn 15:27 22 May 2008

As I understand it from the Help file, the antivirus engine is only used when scanning and is not "Real time" so should not be a problem.
I have activated mine and I will keep an eye on it.

birdface 16:46 22 May 2008

click here This looks like the one.click here

birdface 16:47 22 May 2008

Sorry about the double click.

rawprawn 16:58 22 May 2008

Hi, I still don't understand it because Ad aware only runs when you start it for a scan, and theav engine is only shown in the scan settings.Ad Watch runs real time but has no AV.
I don't think it can possibly clash with another AV

birdface 19:28 22 May 2008

I can't really comment on it as I have not used Ad-Aware for about 5 years.Will it cause problems.[possibly] Just like AVG8 is at the moment.But I suppose we will have to get used to New programs as they are getting more sophisticated in finding problems.Maybe the days of just having 1 Anti-virus program may be on it's way out,And security Suites taking over,I prefer just having them singularly rather in packages.I had Norton Internet Security for a few years and that put me off.I liked AVG the way it was but I suppose we have to get used to new versions.If there is going to be any complications with Ad-aware anti-virus I am sure we will be one of the first to hear about it.

Technotiger 19:54 22 May 2008

Hmm, I think I was at first confused by brigtoo's post - have re-read and checked my own Ad-Aware 2008, there is no Anti-Virus in Ad-Aware 2008, so it is perfectly safe to run Ad-Aware 2008 and any Anti-virus of your choice. I use the free AVG8, which I think is where my confusion arouse at the start!

Technotiger 19:55 22 May 2008

Of course - I am referring only to the Free version of Ad-Aware. I have no experience of Ad-Aware Plus.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?