ActiveX Virus

Ricktos 11:56 25 Mar 2003

I know its a long shot but does anyone know how to cure and ActiveX virus without doing a system wipe? The ActiveX virus has 100's of variations apparently and this one is very common. The virus is caught via any website which has the virus hacked into it's pages. It downloads as a compressed file hidden within a web page script via your browser but only becomes active when the system is booted up. It stops all programs and files being displayed or used. The hd can be explored by using Explorer but this is the only way to view drives or the folders within. The only executables that can be used are the ones on the taskbar at the bottom right, no others are displayed within Explorer. Unforunatly the computer has no virus software on it so this isn't an option. The start menu can be clicked on, but the menu doesn't pop-up. Both the floppy and CD-ROM drives are non-accessable. I am fixing the computer for a friend and as most people would be, is reluctant to wipe the hd. Any idea's would be most welcome peeps, thanks!

james1` 11:59 25 Mar 2003

Go to trend housecall (they have a free online virus scan)

Ricktos 12:08 25 Mar 2003

The computer cannot run any programs that are not on the bottom right of the task bar. The only ones here are the mouse config, volume controls, clock, etc. Thats why I mentioned no antivirus software because a shortcut is usually put there on startup. Internet Explorer can't be run so there's no way to connect to the internet, thanks anyway, keep em comin!!!

Ricktos 20:25 01 Apr 2003

Someone please help

Terrahawk 20:50 01 Apr 2003

do you have av on the system? have you tried accessing the start menu via the keyboard key bottom left hand corner between Ctrl and Alt and then navigate using arrow keys

BlueMeanie 20:16 04 Apr 2003

Can the PC be booted with a Floppy Disk with CD drivers before windows boots up with the problems ? ie a windows 98 boot up disk.

You may then be able to copy a Anti Virus program to the hard drive.

Try the sophos 30 day free trial and download.

Regards

Gaz 25 20:59 04 Apr 2003

These type of viruses, are a bit serious, but to get rid of them, I need to know the name of the virus.

I have never known a virus to do such a thing as stop the start menu from opening, this could be because of a registry entry the virus made to stop this. One file to look for is go into your Temp internet files folder and then delete everything inside. Then go into C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files and delete the Active X controls except Intra.Launch

You could try searching for the virus name, in explorer and deleting it. Then go through the registy and delete the entrys to do with it.

Or, you could press Ctrl Alt Del and closing any suspect services such as, megablasta.exe but do not close: Svchost.exe or winlogon.exe etc...

Before you worry if it aint moving, GET NORTON ANTI-VIRUS NOW, WHEN THE PC BOOTS UP PUT THE DISC IN AND RESTART AND BOOT FROM THE DISC, THIS SHOULD START A SCAN ON YOUR PC AND REMOVE THE VIRUS.

Or do a wipe as a final option.

For future get: Free Anti-virus click here

Free Firewall click here

Spyware/ActivX remover click here

Ricktos 08:46 10 Apr 2003

Okay, I tried the above suggestions all to no avail. The Norton Anti-virus ran and scaned several levels of scanning abilities but did not find the virus, the deletion of the temp files and any related files that could have been anything to do with the virus did nothing, a wipe is done now, thx everyone for their suggestions and Gaz for the anti-virus directions,
regards,

Rick

DieSse 09:20 10 Apr 2003

For the future - hang the drive into a working system with a good AV program on it - then run the AV from the main drive. to clean the problem drive.

I've done this lots of times to clean similar viruses that stop you using a drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?