ActiveX and Scripting enabled

woofwoofbark 22:46 31 Mar 2005

I am trying to use the Symantec website to run thier virus scan , I have in the past but its not working now , I dunno if ive screwed anything up or what ... I can run theier security check ok but the virus scan shows a message saying ...
-------------------------------------------------

Unable to run Virus Detection

In order to run Virus Detection you must be using Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher with ActiveX and Scripting enabled.

--------------------------------------------------

can anything be done ??

cheers

geo

VoG II 22:49 31 Mar 2005

Tools/Internet Options and reset security settings.

Yoda Knight 08:52 01 Apr 2005

I tried this site last night, doesnt seem to work anymore

woofwoofbark 13:29 01 Apr 2005

"I tried this site last night, doesnt seem to work anymore" .... same here , I tried a few times plus I found this link too enable ActiveX and Script Enable from Symantec's security/virus scanner , but it didnt work ???

5. How do I enable ActiveX?

To enable ActiveX, choose your browser from the list below and click on the Show Instructions link. If your browser is not listed it may not support ActiveX controls.

Internet Explorer 5.x/6.x Show Instructions
Hide Instructions

The default browser settings will allow ActiveX controls to download and run. A Medium Security Level allows ActiveX controls to download and run.

From the browser menu, click Tools > Internet Options Click on the Security tab
Select the globe icon representing the Internet Zone Click Custom Level
Scroll down to the ActiveX controls and plug-ins section Under Download signed ActiveX controls select Prompt Under Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins select Enable Under Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting select Enable
Click OK to close the Security Settings window (If prompted to verify that you want to change the security settings for this zone click Yes)
Click OK to close the Internet Options window

the above instrucions are for IE 5 and IE 6 , how can I tell which version I have ?? im sure its 6

cheers

geo

woofwoofbark 01:28 04 Apr 2005

I have followed the instructions to enable ActiveX but for some reason its still blocking my access too some sites , I have an email address @excite.com and cant access it , I can get too the main page click here but when I click on 'email' I get a page saying ....

The browser you're using is not allowing you to sign in to Excite.

Right now, your browser's settings are configured to disable cookies and/or javascript. In order to access your account, you must change your browser's settings to accept both cookies AND javascript.

NOTE: You will also receive this error if you computer system time is off by more than a few hours, or is set to an incorrect day or year. To check your system time on your computer, please double-click the date and time in the bottom right of your screen, and confirm it is set correctly.

How do I change my browser settings?
This depends on the browser you're using. If you are getting a message asking if you want to accept cookies, choose Yes. Otherwise, we recommend that you click the "Help" button at the top of your browser in order to learn how to properly accept cookies and javascript. (You'll most likely be able to enable these settings by locating the Security and/or Privacy tabs found within "Internet Options" in your browser's "Tools" pull-down window.)

Tip: If you are using the same browser that came installed on your computer when you bought it - and if you've owned your computer for a couple of years - we recommend that you download the latest version. Internet Explorer users, click here. Netscape users, click here.
Tried everything and still can't sign in? It could be due to one of these issues:

Your computer's clock may be set ahead 10 years or more. Your clock may be showing the correct time of day, but is it set to the right year? Believe it or not, this has prevented some Excite users from being able to sign in.

Your computer's hard drive (C:, most likely) has low disk space. If your computer's operating system uses Windows, and if your hard drive is nearly full, this may prevent you from being able to sign in to your account. You may want to delete some old files or move a number of your files to another drive on your computer.

Your computer/computer's network is using security software or a firewall that prevents you from signing in. Some security software and firewalls use settings that make it impossible to sign in to an Excite email account. These settings can be changed, so please check with your network administrator or call the security software maker if you believe this may be true in your case.

what can be done ?

help please , I have went too tools/internet options and clicked on enable too allow for activeX

hope someone can help

cheers

geo

woofwoofbark 01:34 04 Apr 2005

I have followed the instructions to enable ActiveX but for some reason its still blocking my access too some sites , I have an email address @excite.com and cant access it , I can get too the main page click here but when I click on 'email' I get a page saying ....

The browser you're using is not allowing you to sign in to Excite.

Right now, your browser's settings are configured to disable cookies and/or javascript. In order to access your account, you must change your browser's settings to accept both cookies AND javascript.

NOTE: You will also receive this error if you computer system time is off by more than a few hours, or is set to an incorrect day or year. To check your system time on your computer, please double-click the date and time in the bottom right of your screen, and confirm it is set correctly.

How do I change my browser settings?
This depends on the browser you're using. If you are getting a message asking if you want to accept cookies, choose Yes. Otherwise, we recommend that you click the "Help" button at the top of your browser in order to learn how to properly accept cookies and javascript. (You'll most likely be able to enable these settings by locating the Security and/or Privacy tabs found within "Internet Options" in your browser's "Tools" pull-down window.)

Tip: If you are using the same browser that came installed on your computer when you bought it - and if you've owned your computer for a couple of years - we recommend that you download the latest version. Internet Explorer users, click here. Netscape users, click here.
Tried everything and still can't sign in? It could be due to one of these issues:

Your computer's clock may be set ahead 10 years or more. Your clock may be showing the correct time of day, but is it set to the right year? Believe it or not, this has prevented some Excite users from being able to sign in.

Your computer's hard drive (C:, most likely) has low disk space. If your computer's operating system uses Windows, and if your hard drive is nearly full, this may prevent you from being able to sign in to your account. You may want to delete some old files or move a number of your files to another drive on your computer.

Your computer/computer's network is using security software or a firewall that prevents you from signing in. Some security software and firewalls use settings that make it impossible to sign in to an Excite email account. These settings can be changed, so please check with your network administrator or call the security software maker if you believe this may be true in your case.

what can be done ?

help please , I have went too tools/internet options and clicked on enable too allow for activeX

hope someone can help

cheers

geo

woofwoofbark 22:02 16 Apr 2005

I cant run symantec free virus program from thier site click here , I used to be able too in the pas but for some reason in the past month it keeps saying this ....

"....Unable to run Virus Detection

In order to run Virus Detection you must be using Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher with ActiveX and Scripting enabled.

To learn more, see our Help. ..."

I have clicked on thier help section and have enabled the acivex and javascript but it keeps saying my computer wont allow me to run the scan because I havnt set the activex/javascript , which I have !!!

I cant get nto excite.com to check an email account I have in there , it isnt an important email address for me , but , thats not the point , I would like to access these sites and others but I cant because of "you hve to allow activex/javascript to view these sites" or words to that effect ....

can anyone please help

cheers

geo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?