Acronis True Image concern

Pineman100 19:20 13 Apr 2007

I've just installed Acronis True Image 8.0 to run under XP SP2 Home.

While I was creating my first C: drive image on an external backup HDD, I got a report: "Failed to read from sector 28,704,456. Retry/Ignore/Ignore All/Cancel"

I clicked Retry a couple of times, but got the same report, so I clicked Ignore.

Creation of the drive image then carried on, and at the end I received the report "Image creation has succeeded".

I believe that hard drives quite often have one or two flaws that result in bad sectors. Is the above report something I should worry about, or do you think it's quite normal?

The C: drive is a 200GB in a Packard Bell computer that's about a year old.

Thanks for any advice.

johndrew 19:47 13 Apr 2007

I must admit I have never had such a message whilst using ATI. It does sound like a HDD problem but whether it would affect the recovery function I`m not certain. Have you validated the archive? If so did it come up successful?

Totally-braindead 19:54 13 Apr 2007

Have you perhaps tried running a disk check on your drives to see if there are bad sectors?

Its a bit time consumming I'm afraid as it has to scan all sectors of the drives.

hastelloy 20:18 13 Apr 2007

I recently had a similar problem but Acronis never managed to finish a back up. Had to replace HDD. I downloaded the manufacturers (in my case Western Digital) diagnostic software and that confirmed that the HDD was faulty.

Simsy 20:18 13 Apr 2007

problem, last year, I ran the disc checking utility from the HDD manufacturer, and sure enough the HDD was failing. I was able to get it replaced under warranty.

I suggest you do the same, just in case.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

johndrew 20:21 13 Apr 2007

To see if the archive is functional with the `error` message you could ask Acronis. Easy way to get there is to open ATI select `Help/About` and click on the `submit your request` link.

woodchip 20:46 13 Apr 2007

Try exploring the Image. In Windows Explorer, if it's corrupt it will say so. If it gives a Drive letter to close right click and choose unplug

Quiet Life 14:28 14 Apr 2007

I would also start up with the ATI start up disc and cofirm that your external drive shows up.

Pineman100 13:54 17 Apr 2007

Many thanks to everyone for all your advice.

Here's an update on the situation:

I have booted ATI from the Rescue CD and verified the ATI image on my external backup HDD. This was reported as successful. So I presume (and please tell me if I'm wrong) that I can relax in the knowledge that if my HDD crashed totally, I have a complete system backup from which to restore.

I have downloaded Seagate's Seatools For Windows software and run a Short Test on the hard drive - this reported "Failed".

I have therefore downloaded the Seatools for DOS version which creates a bootable CD, and includes a repair function. The next recommended action is to run a Long Test, which analyses every drive sector. However, I'm a little uncertain about what to do if this reports a bad sector (as seems likely). Apparently Seatools can repair (or relocate) sectors, but I'm worried that if I OK this procedure, I might lose critical data.

Does anyone know whether Seatools will guide me reliably as to whether I should or should not allow it to try and repair a bad sector?

Sorry to sound ignorant about these things.

keef66 13:58 17 Apr 2007

I'm in the same boat as you; TI creates the backup but I get the same error message about unable to read from...

the backup is valid, but I'm thinking I need to be replacing the hdd asap

Few HDD diagnostics next!

iscanut 15:03 17 Apr 2007

Have you run the verify function to confirm integrity of the backup ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?