ACRONIS Help to restore from full backup

eddiejackr 09:40 29 Oct 2007

Had to have OS (XP) re-installed on hard drive and so now I want to get the PC back to same configuration as before this was done. My understanding from reading in this forum was that I would be able to do this with Acronis.

I have a very recent full back up done with Acronis TI 9.0. This backup consists of 19 .tib files and amounts to 74.5 GB. This backup is on an external HD, but this also contains other folders that don't need to be copied across to PC - but it is vital I don't lose these.

Is anyone willing to talk me through this as I'm scared to start?!!! I am not very knowledgable on this stuff and I don't really understand partitions etc. I have the original Acronis paid for disc but no other disc made by myself (as I have seen referred to in some of the postings). I simply thought I was OK doing full backup to HD.

Grateful for help.

keef66 12:09 29 Oct 2007

I think you've wasted your time reinstalling the OS. If your pc is set to boot from CD as the first device, just put the Acronis disk in the drive and boot the pc. It should launch Acronis and give you the several options, one of which will be to restore from the backup on your external HDD

DieSse 12:10 29 Oct 2007

"Had to have OS (XP) re-installed on hard drive and so now I want to get the PC back to same configuration as before this was done."

If you've re-installed XP - then if you restore that partition back to an earlier version - then that's what you will get - the earlier version - not a modified version of the re-install.

Is that what you really want?

cocteau48 12:13 29 Oct 2007

Trying to get my head round this but am I right in asssuming that your recent full Acronis backup was taken prior to your reinstallation of the XP O/S system.
If so then using the Acronis recovery function will merely overwrite your new XP installation with the imaged one (and all your other imaged files of course) and you will be back to square one with whatever problem required you to reinstall XP in the first place.
If the problem which caused you to have your O/S reinstalled is on the cloned image then I do not think that the image is of any use.

woodchip 12:54 29 Oct 2007

Acronis will overwrite any Partition info and puts it back as and when it was created

namtas 13:15 29 Oct 2007

1 "Had to have OS (XP) re-installed on hard drive and so now I want to get the PC back to same configuration as before this was done"

2 "I have a very recent full back up done with Acronis TI 9.0"

You will not be able to restore as (1) to this situation using Acronis unless you saved a image seperatly before you reinstalled XP

You image backup will restore as (2)

I have never had to recover using Acronis - but dont you just bring up Acronis and click on recovery which brings up the recovery wizard

eddiejackr 13:41 29 Oct 2007

Thanks for your time - but it's beyond me. Have tried all suggestions but all fail in one way or another. Will ahve to pay soemone to do it for me.

keef66 14:20 29 Oct 2007

what happens if you boot from the Acronis CD? Do you get the choice to restore from your backup?

woodchip 15:10 29 Oct 2007

It should be a Image backup that you restore

eddiejackr 16:13 29 Oct 2007

If I boot from the Acronis CD a menu screen appears and then jumps straight into the clone wizard. If I then choose back I get to the menu, but if I select recover nothing happens - it's just dead.

I did do an archive check on one of the 19 files and it took two hours but was all ok - so I'm assuming the others are ok.

I know acronis needs to "lock the partition" to recover it and it is at this stage that it goes wrong - tells me to reboot and then I get back to the clone wizard as above. I have no obvious programs running other than acronis, but presumably stuff running in the background is stopping acronis from locking the partition. I don't know what to do about this.

HCOOH 16:30 29 Oct 2007

Have you tried making the boot disc and using that instead of the programme disc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts