Hot Topics

Acronis back up and Disc partitions

anskyber 17:56 21 Jun 2006

I use Acronis to back up my hard drive. My PC has 2x HDs in a RAID 1 configuration (ie identical copies of all data on both discs)

My PC "sees" the RAID array as one "C" drive which is what would be expected, in a NTFS format. When I come to back up the drive Acronis has identified the "C" drive but also 2 other partitions which do not have drive letters. (hence my PC does not show them) They are "Type 219 FAT32 0xdb Concurrent DOS, CTOS" and "FAT16 0xde(EISA configuration)

Any ideas what they are and should they be backed up?

anskyber 19:40 21 Jun 2006

I've been doing a bit more research and also spoken to a friend who is more tech savy than I am.

The research and the friend have suggested the same answer and that is the two "hidden" partitions are recovery or diagnostic partitions for the PC manufacturer. Dell in my case. Taking it further given that the Acronis back up of drive "C" will include the OS there is no overriding need to back up the "hidden" partitions. In any event they will not change so if they are to be backed up it only needs to be done once.

I have therefore done a whole disc back up of all three partitions and will do incremental back ups of "C" only with the occasional consolidating whole disc back up when I have too many incremental back ups if that makes sense.

anskyber 20:57 21 Jun 2006

My RAID array was factory installed so the picture looks very much as I have speculated. I assume your interest is because you are on a RAID set up.

anskyber 13:21 22 Jun 2006

My back up is very much like yours, I have 2x250Gb of HD in Raid 1. I back up onto an external HD of 250Gb.

The point about the partitions not being shown is when viewed through "My Computer" in Win XP. Obviously operational drives would be seen in that environment.

Yes Acronis does give the size of the partitions they are 39.19MB (yes MB) with 7.76MB used for the FAT16 partition and only 4.64MB with 3.14 used of the FAT 32 partition. They are both therefore of the order to be expected for a recovery or diagnostic facility. The fact that they are "hidden" also suggests to me that they are there for dells use if needed.

acronis does back up using some compression so the "full" HD to be imaged will not take all the space.

anskyber 13:27 22 Jun 2006

Sorry I should have added that the partitions do show up in the Discmanagement area of the PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra launched: 120x zoom, 120W charging & 120Hz display

Landscape Illustration tips from leading illustrators

New MacBook Air could be coming soon

Comment recycler un téléphone portable ?