Accessing partition d from a drive?

ms6869 12:14 18 Mar 2011

I have a laptop i need to run dos software on. The software will not communicate with the hardware via windows command prompt, it needs to be true dos.

I have an A drive which i have used to create a ms dos disc and it boots to a fine, it doesn't allow me to access my hard drive though to run the software.

My hard drive is C and is NTFS, i was told DOS wouldn't access an NTFS drive, so i have made a partition D which is FAT.

Dos still tells me that the drive is inaccessible!

Any ideas please?

james105051 13:15 18 Mar 2011

click here for a dos emulator. I use it a lot for old dos programmes and it works well.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:59 18 Mar 2011

Is your drive IDE or SATA?

ms6869 07:42 20 Mar 2011

Fruitbat,

How do i find out which one, i have just been looking through control panel but couldn't find it!

Would it make a difference which one it was?

Also the A drive is interchangeable with the D drive (cd/dvd) both of these register as usb devices, does this make any difference?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:44 20 Mar 2011

Try NTFS4DOS click here

ms6869 23:06 24 Mar 2011

I have found the answer to this problem, the new partition which i called D was not accessible from the A drive because the A drive was calling the D drive C.

Quite simply, because as mentioned previously, the A drive (DOS) didn't recognize the NTFS it overlooked it when assigning Drives. A and B were DOS, so C became the next available recognizable volume.

I just have to remember that the D Drive in windows is the C Drive in Dos.

Hope this might help somebody else in the future.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

HomePod review

Streaming : Netflix ou Amazon Prime Video ?