Accessing NTL Webspace

Pesala 17:43 11 Feb 2003

I have 10 Mbytes of free webspace with NTL but so far have been unable to figure out how to access it.

I use FTP Commander to manage two website, but I can get started with the NTL space.

Customer homepage URL format:
homepage.ntlworld.com/user.name
FTP Server upload.ntlworld.com
User Name = your username
Password = your password

I entered the details for FTP Server, User Name, and Password, what more do I need to do? Please excuse my ignorance. I am new to this game.

Legolas 17:47 11 Feb 2003

On the NTL website they give you a run down on how to set up aN FTP account click here

Pesala 18:33 11 Feb 2003

Give me a break. I might be stuck, but I'm not daft. I got a friend to try and help me when he came round, but he could not help either.

I though there must be at least a 100 people here who use NTL webspace. If it is easy, please tell me how.

Falkyrn 18:46 11 Feb 2003

You shouldn't need to do anything else ... but ensure that the username and the password are those originally supplied when your account was opened

jazzypop 18:51 11 Feb 2003

I find it very easy - but then I publish direct from FrontPage to NTL.

As you say, you simply use the address of ftp :// upload.ntlworld.com (without the spaces), and type your username (the bit before @ntlworld.com in your email address) and password. At the risk of being on the receiving end of another scathing comment, are you certain that you are using the right password? Mine begins p09 followed by another 7 numbers, and is different to my email password.

Finally, have you checked the NTL status page? It may simply be that NTL are having problems at their end. See click here

Pesala 19:29 11 Feb 2003

When I click on my defined server in FTP Commander I see a message in the status bar:

Connecting to upload.ntlworld.com

Next message is: Password required for Pesala

Then PASS ****

Then the right-hand panel reverts to the usual list of defined servers for various websites.

What is supposed to happen next? When I connect to my own website, I get a list of directories and files. FTP Commander is very simple, just like WIndows Explorer with a director of my hard drive in the left panel, and one of the Server in the right. Then I can copy files by selecting the m and clicking a button.

I have double- and triple-checked my password, tried changing it, etc. It works for my NTL account details.

Falkyrn 00:26 12 Feb 2003

just downloaded and tried FTP commander with my ntl account ..no problems at all.

Under FTP server enter upload.ntlworld.com

Under UserID enter your user name

Under password enter the appropriate password

make sure anonymous login is NOT ticked and on you go

Pesala 05:50 12 Feb 2003

Thanks Falkyrn for taking the trouble to try it with FTP Commander. Glad it works for you, but it doesn't work for me.

I logged on to my NTL account, requested my password, and used it to change my username. Then I changed the server properties in FTP Commander to match and tried again with the same result.

I changed my user name back again and tried again.

The password is correct. I know that NTL does not accept uppercase in user names nor passwords. Still FTP Commander only gets to this stage:

< 331 Password required for pesala
> PASS *****

Please try entering the incorrect password and see if you get that exact same result.

Falkyrn 21:04 12 Feb 2003

When i tried it with everything but the password set I got the initial messsage <331 password required for >

On entering an incorrect password it generated an error message <530 incorrect password >

Falkyrn 21:06 12 Feb 2003

What operating system are you using ?

Falkyrn 21:20 12 Feb 2003

Connecting to upload.ntlworld.com
< 220-
< 220-##################################################################
< 220-
< 220- Welcome to upload.ntlworld.com
< 220-
< 220-##################################################################
< 220-
< 220 upload.ntlworld.com FTP server ready
> USER xxxxxx
< 331 Password required for xxxxxx.
> PASS ****
< 530 Login incorrect.
530 Login incorrect.

This was the log from an attempt with the wrong password

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?