Access a printer via a router?

Pine Man 13:24 27 Oct 2014
Answered

I have an iMac and a PC both connected to a Sky router with an Ethernet cable. I have a Canon MG8250 multifunction printer, which, at the moment, is connected to the iMac with a USB cable.

I would like the printer to be capable of being used by both computers and, rather than use WIFI, I would like, if possible, a wired connection. The printer has an Ethernet socket and I wondered if I could connect the printer to the Sky router and then either computer could access it via that router.

Any thoughts?

Ian in Northampton 13:29 27 Oct 2014

The fact that the printer has an Ethernet socket would seem to indicate that what you want to do should be possible. If you have a spare cable knocking about, it's got to be worth a try.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:00 27 Oct 2014
Answer

attach your printer via ethernet cable to your router.

The router will (if it's half decent like a netgear model) will be DHCP enabled and will issue an IP address when the printer is connected.

Go into the router config pages via a web browser to double check the IP its assigned. Defualt IP address for therouter wil be included with your documentation or a quick goole will reveal it; usually something like 192.168.1.1.

When you can see when IP address the printer has been assinged, go to your windows start menu, navigate to settings, printers & faxes, File, add a new printer, add a network printer and 'connect to this printer' type \the.IP.Address.issued by router , ie \192.168.1.x. You may even be able to browse for it.

I expect the setup for a printer with the MAc will be similar.

Pine Man 16:00 27 Oct 2014

Brilliant Fruit Bat ^0^.

Thanks very much indeed. Works a treat!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough fights back against sexual misconduct

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Espace de stockage : comment libérer de la mémoire sur votre iPhone ?