"access denied" message

CabbageWhite 14:48 15 Aug 2007

I have Windows XP2, Office 2003 and Outlook Express. On trying to open any Office program (Word, XP etc), OE or Photoshop, I get a message "Windows cannot access the specified device path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to acces the item". As you can see, I can open Internet Explorer. Advice would be much appreciated. Thanks. David

johndrew 15:01 15 Aug 2007

How are you logging on? Have you given yourself the correct permissions when you created the account as Administrator?

CabbageWhite 15:27 15 Aug 2007

I have not created acounts, nor appointed an adminstrator. The PC should - in theory - be usuable by anyone. As far as I know, I have changed nothing to cause the problem. I get the Desktop OK on booting, but cannot get beyond that except (thankfully)to Explorer. I have also found that I cannot use the reset point (attempts to do so bring up the same meassage).

johndrew 16:03 15 Aug 2007

The `Administrator` is by default the person who hold the account - in this case you.

Go to `Control Panel > User Accounts` and see what Accounts there are and what privileges each account has. Hopefully you will find yours which should be `Administrator`. If there is another with `Administrator` by it log on as that account and give yourself the full `Administrator` privileges.

If you are already `Administrator` I`m not sure what else to suggest.

CabbageWhite 16:38 15 Aug 2007

Thanks johndrew. that did it.

hgipps 23:41 16 Aug 2007

I have much the same problem, but more limited access.
I am running XP Pro SP2 with myself as the admin account, and one other limited user account.
Night before last Widows Update was doing something as I shut down.

Now, although the OS loads, every click on a program or even a control panel item produces the error message.." You may not have appropriate permission etc"

Though it must be a virus, but maybe the admin settings are shredded?

woodchip 23:44 16 Aug 2007

If you are using Windows firewall, Try turning it off

woodchip 23:45 16 Aug 2007

The reason I say the above, is that many programs automatically check the internet for updates

CabbageWhite 00:07 17 Aug 2007

Mine went again. I found out how to log-on in safe mode (I'm not very good at these things, and if your are not too, keep hitting the F8 key when you turn the PC on). That let me log-on as the administrator (I am the only one anyway) and set the restore point to the day before I had the problem. That may not have been the optimum method, but it worked. [But then I had problem with Norton too which required me to update my antivirus program from 2006 to 2007.] Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough fights back against sexual misconduct

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Espace de stockage : comment libérer de la mémoire sur votre iPhone ?