About using larger monitors?

myfoot 12:44 23 Apr 2007

My machine Dell Dimension 2300, came with a 15" Flat and I recently replaced it with a 19" Flat. Have it about 2 months now and am happy with it.

My question is: Is the size of monitor one can use limited by the graphic chip/card on the PC. There's obviously more work involved in filling a big screen that a smaller one. A friend was asking me about getting a larger monitor and I was wondering is there a way to know what the limits of any graphic card/chip are.
Thanks

Kate B 13:10 23 Apr 2007

Yes, it is, but only really if you're trying to play games at the higher resolution.

Stuartli 13:22 23 Apr 2007

>>is there a way to know what the limits of any graphic card>>

Right click on an empty area of the Desktop>Properties>Settings tab>Advanced button>Adapter tab>click on List All Modes button.

This will fully detail all the resolution/colour/refresh rates your graphics card will support; you can also use the list to select your preference by highlighting and clicking on it.

Ensure Windows is Enabled to keep the chosen setting without a reboot.

myfoot 13:32 23 Apr 2007

Thanks for that info.
My screen is currently working at 1280X1024 32bit 60Herz, which when I looked under ""Desktop>Properties>Settings tab>Advanced button>Adapter tab>click on List All Modes button.""" is the highest setting there except for different Herz settings. So were I to go for 21" I my screen content would remain the same except the image would be infact worse/rougher. Pixels would be bigger.

Stuartli 14:41 23 Apr 2007

If you have a TFT monitor (which I presume is meant by "flat"), these have a native resolution - others can be used but the display is normally not as good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

How to use 3D Touch on iPhone

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?