AND A6 with 8GB ram or Intel i5 with 4GB

Dan Boxall 16:38 15 Sep 2018

Hi everyone,

I've got around £400 to spend on a new laptop. I've decided on a Lenovo ideapad with 17.3" screen, but I'm not sure which one I should get.

One has AMD A6 2.6Ghz dual core processor, 8GB DDR4 ram and ATI Radeon R4 graphics card. It costs £350 (reduced from 380).

The other has Intel i3 2.2Ghz dual core processor, only 4GB DDR4 ram, and Intel HD 620 graphics card. This one costs £380 (reduced from £430).

I'll be dual booting win 10 and Ubuntu. I'll be using the laptop for uni work, watching films, and maybe, if I have enough power, I'll get a steam account.

So which do you think is better (and by better, I guess I mean more powerful?). The AMD has more ram and more powerful processor, but the Intel costs £50 more (at original price), which would suggest that it's better. Bear in mind that each of these laptops have the same screen, speakers, usb ports, etc. It's just the processors, ram and graphics cards which differ. I honestly can't decide, I'd be interested to hear other opinions on this.

Thanks, Dan

rdave13 20:39 15 Sep 2018

Don't think there's any point getting a Steam account for either. Both low end laptops. Think the AMD one pips the post just because of the ram.

rdave13 20:41 15 Sep 2018

I take it the Intel is an i3?

Dan Boxall 20:57 15 Sep 2018

Yeah, its Intel.

As for steam, minimum requirements for games are a lot less than these. I was just wondering which one would be more powerful. Unfortunately, I don't have thousands to spend

Dan Boxall 21:03 15 Sep 2018

I've read on a few different sites that Intel processors are better than AMD, but since the AMD is both more powerful (in terms of Ghz - I presume the higher it is, the more powerful it is) and has more ram, so I'm confused. What if I got the one with the Intel processor and added 4GB ram? Would this then be better? The AMD still has higher Ghz

rdave13 21:53 15 Sep 2018

You say in your heading it's an i5 Intel processor but in your original post you say;

The other has Intel i3 2.2Ghz dual core processor.

Confusing facts.

Dan Boxall 18:12 28 Sep 2018

I ended up getting the Intel i3 one. I researched the processors, and it turns out that while the Intel one is listed as having a lower clock speed than the AMD, its equipped with Intel turbo boost, and runs at 3.4 ghz when it needs to. And, I've downloaded steam and have been playing star trek online, and it works just fine. Also installed blizzard and world of warcraft. Decent picture, no lag, all good. Probably thanks to the turbo boost that I mentioned. All in all, its a really nice laptop, I'm well happy

Dan Boxall 18:15 28 Sep 2018

Oh yeah, and it's i3. Post title was obviously a mistake

rdave13 18:33 28 Sep 2018

Thanks for the feedback. Glad you're sorted.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)