a1009 HP desktop at Staples

the hick 20:05 13 May 2005

Staples are selling these with 17" TFT and HP colour printer for £499. They have Celeron D335 (2.8GHz), Win XP Home, Works 8, Intel Extreme graphics. I am needing a new PC, and wondered if this would be a good buy, and is there much difference between Celeron and Pentium 4? I dont know a great deal about processor details. Any advice appreciated.

Diodorus Siculus 20:16 13 May 2005

What do you want it for? That is the primary question.

If office work / internet browsing and such non-demanding tasks, it will be perfect. If you are into gaming, CD/DVD creation and so on, it will be less suitable.

I actually saw them yesterday and thought that they would be fine for an office - but the shared graphics would imply that an immediate boost would be gained by upgrading RAM to 512mb. I think that graphics were limited at 64mb - basic but ok for DVD watching, little else.

Diodorus Siculus 20:17 13 May 2005

There is indeed a difference between Celeron and PIV - a difference that will be noticed when it comes to demanding tasks; again, saying what you want it for will allow a reasonable judgement to be given on its suitability for you.

the hick 20:25 13 May 2005

I dont go in for gaming, mainly office, internet, photo editing, and some music CD creating. Probably possible to upgrade the graphics later?

Diodorus Siculus 20:34 13 May 2005

[quote]Probably possible to upgrade the graphics later?[/quote]

That all depends on there being an AGP slot (possible) or the possibility of a PCI graphics card.

Speaking of staples, have they taken over all Office World sites?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?