98SE and XP - Graphics cards

Will 17:21 15 Dec 2003

My son has just bought a new game, "Call of Duty", I am running win98SE, 1.4 Meg and it looks like I am going to have to buy a new Graphics card. I went on the hunt for information and to my surprise it is only certain cards that can run the game and then on the specifications for the cards it says win 2000 or XP. Can anybody advise me on the direction we are going. I have a copy of XP from my laptop but will I have to start from scratch if I want to replace win 98 and reload all the stuuf I have presently on my hard disk? And is there any major pitfalls to stay away from when chooseing a graphics card?

madPentium 17:32 15 Dec 2003

what is your budget? There is a huge price range with video cards. What will your video card be plugging into? PCI slot? AGP slot? if agp what can it go up to? 2X 4X 8X ?

Jester2K II 17:38 15 Dec 2003

The card will either be based on ATI or NVidia technology. Both have drivers for Win98 so not sure why they say 2000 / XP.

Basically the game is very graphics intensive (i've tried the demo). You shouldn't need to upgrade to Xp but it can be done without loosing data.

Will 17:39 15 Dec 2003

Thanks mad this is the sort of information I need, I have an AGP and it's up to 4x.

Will 17:41 15 Dec 2003

thanks Jesterv relieved about the XP bit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?